MINUTES OF THE LAKE BARCROFT ASSOCIATION BOARD OF DIRECTORS

 

August 8, 2001

The meeting of the Lake Barcroft Association (LBA) was called to order at 7:37 PM by President David Feld at 6425 Lakeview Drive, Falls Church, Virginia. Those present were LBA Directors David Feld, Karol Forsberg, Garrett Green, Sue Nixson, Peter Browne, Frank Aukofer, Bob Foster, Mac Canter, George McLennan and Mac Canter. Also present were Improvements Committee Chairman, Ernie Rauth and WID Operations Manager, Stuart Finley. Other guests included lake resident Marty Convissor and Water Safety Supervisor, Kevin Hardy.

Minutes of July 18 were approved as corrected.

 

OLD BUSINESS

RECREATIONAL FACILITIES MEETING: David Feld distributed a letter about future community projects for the Board to review and comment on. It was agreed to hold a community-wide meeting on Monday, September 10 at Belvedere Elementary School.

 

NEW BUSINESS

MOVED by Frank Aukofer that: up to $400 for signs be provided for the Labor Day games. The motion was seconded. Concern was expressed about the costs involved. Eight voted in favor, one opposed. Motion carried. Canter reported that the funds for this purpose could be subsidized from the legal committee budget.

NOMINATING COMMITTEE: David Feld reported that George Waters would be chairing the Nominating Committee as past President and Frank Aukofer would serve as the co-chair. Feld stated that something should go into the Newsletter asking for interested parties to contact the committee.

DATE FOR FALL CIVIC AFFAIRS MEETING: October 24 was the date selected to hold the annual Civic Affairs Meeting and it will be held at Belvedere Elementary School.

EXTENSION OF TOILET FACILITIES AT BEACH #5: Bob Foster informed the Board that he had received three calls from residents requesting that the toilets at beach #5 remain until the end of September. Accordingly,

MOVED by Frank Aukofer that all toilets be kept on all of the beaches until the end of September for all locations. All voted in favor.

WATER SAFETY SUPERVISOR'S REPORT: WSS Kevin Hardy distributed his report and discussed routine operations.

IMPROVEMENTS: Ernie Rauth reported that everything has been completed at beach #1. The sign honoring Stu Finley has been placed at Beach #4. Other routine work continues.

WID REPORT: Stu Finley reported that a maintenance program would begin shortly involving replacement of major components of the dam. Dredging of Tripps Run is planned for November and should take four to five weeks. Section 319 grant programs are being developed. Finley reported a recent intrusion problem on Potterton Drive from fishermen turning over the riprap rocks and that signs have been taken from this area. The WID worked with Police to patrol this area. Complaint about shallow land by Beach #4 that sticks out causing problems for boaters and the WID plans on placing a sign in this area stating shallow area for boats. Finley mentioned that the next time LBA was in the process of renewing the insurance, they should speak with the WID to make sure there are no duplications in coverage. Treasurer Karol Forsberg agreed to contact Finley at that time.

TREASURER'S REPORT: Karol Forsberg reported that expenses are $25,000 higher than last year and revenue is $4,000 less than last year. Earned interest will lower than budgeted. Fees collections are up from last year.

COMMUNITY WATCH/SECURITY: David Feld questioned completed improvements on the security list that had previously been postponed. McLennan agreed to review and report back next month.

WATER SAFETY/BEACH MAINTENANCE: Bob Foster requested volunteers to finish the boat survey. Beach 4 has been completed. David Feld agreed to find a volunteer to assist with Beach #2 and George McLennan volunteered to help with Beachs #3 and #5.

ARC: Ernie Rauth reported that Henry Borges has submitted plans for review. Rauth discussed George November's recent submittal.

The Board went into Executive session at 9: 13 to discuss an ARC issue on Waterway Drive. Adjourned at 9:25 PM and back into the regular Board meeting.

PUBLICATIONS: George McLennan reported that Mollie Jewell was working on the community database and would be meeting with her and Don Christian tomorrow.

ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY: Peter Browne reported that the Friends of the Lake was still functioning this year. He is looking for help with the bat houses but has a student who is interested in helping.

MEMBERSHIP: Frank Aukofer reported that he is attempting to get greater compliance in membership paymernts.

LEGAL: Mac Canter reported that he is giving consideration to conservation easements that affect lots in Section 3 for Parcel A.

Discussion took place about the LBA being becoming a homeowner's association. Garrett Green agreed to look into it.

SPECIAL EVENTS: Captains Club meeting on August 23rd at Nixson's house at 7:30 PM.

The Board meeting was adjourned at 10:00 PM.

Respectfully,

Ralph Smalley, sec'y (from notes by Chris LaChance)