MINUTES OF THE LAKE BARCROFT ASSOCIATION BOARD OF DIRECTORS

May 8, 2002

The meeting of the Lake Barcroft Association (LBA) was called to order at 7:35 PM by President George McLennan at 6425 Lakeview Drive, Falls Church, Virginia. Those present were LBA Directors George McLennan, George Waters, Karen Wehner, Peter Browne, Barbara McGrew, Frank Aukofer, Ralph Smalley, Mac Canter, Sue Nixson, David Feld and Peter Walker. Also present were Improvements Committee Chairman, Ernie Rauth and WID Operations Manager, Stuart Finley.

George McLennan introduced Peter Walker to the Board as the new chair of the Community Watch/Security Committee.

The minutes were approved as presented. In the future, minutes will be sent out for Board perusal and editorial comments, as in the past. However, proposed changes in motions will be brought before the Board at the meeting.

NEW BUSINESS

DIRECTORS INSURANCE: Karen Wehner informed the Board that LBA insurance does not clearly state whether committee members are covered and expressed the need for Ernie Rauth and Peter Walker to be covered. David addressed the possible need for coverage of other volunteers as well. Karen and Chris will do further investigation before a motion is brought before the Board on this.

WID INDEMNIFICATION: Karen also discussed that cases may arise when the WID is sued for something that is really LBA's responsibility. LBA may be sued for something that is really the WID's responsibility. The WID should be indemnified by LBA by a specific clause in our insurance so that the WID can be reimbursed for appropriate legal costs. Again, Karen and Chris will investigate the possibility of including language to this effect and the cost of including it.

LBA NEWSLETTER: Frank Aukofer shared his plans for the LBA Newsletter and made the following motion: THE BOARD AUTHORIZES THE LBA PRESIDENT AND CHAIRMAN OF THE PUBLICATIONS COMMITTEE TO CONTRACT WITH A NEW PRINTER AND TO MAKE OTHER CHANGES IN THE STAFFING AND DESIGN OF THE LAKE BARCROFT NEWSLETTER, WITH THE GOAL OF MAKING IT A MORE TIMELY, COMPLETE, AND ENTERTAINING RECORD OF ACTIVITIES IN THE COMMUNITY. Passed.

OLD BUSINESS

UNDERGROUND UTILITY WIRES: Barbara McGrew reported to the Board the results of her investigation into burying power lines. The Board considered the following motion: BECAUSE OF PROHIBITIVELY HIGH COSTS TO HOMEOWNERS, THE LBA BOARD WILL NOT, AT THIS TIME, PURSUE THE ISSUE OF BURYING POWER LINES IN OUR COMMUNITY. THE REASONS FOR DECLINING TO DO SO WILL BE EXPLAINED TO THE COMMUNITY IN THE NEWSLETTER AND ON LAKE LINK.

THE LBA BOARD WILL MAKE INFORMATION AVAILABLE REGARDING HOW HOMEOWNERS CAN CONTRACT WITH POWER PROVIDERS TO BURY THEIR OWN POWER LINES. WE WILL MAKE THIS INVORMATION AVAILABLE VIA THE NEWSLETTER AND THE LIST SERVE. Passed.

REPORTS

IMPROVEMENTS COMMITTEE: Ernie Rauth reported:

  1. Community grass has been cut twice.
  2. We are in the process of creating more boat storage as follows: Beach 1--14 new racks (already done) Soon to follow: Beach 2--9 racks; Beach 3--10 racks; Beach 4--6 racks; Beach 5--12 racks.
  3. A hawthorn tree has been planted in memory of Peter Browne's son; landscaped bed to follow.
  4. Swift Island is to be mowed and weeded. Goose eggs have been oiled. Sign is in process.
  5. Chips to be spread around community paths have been delivered.
  6. A dispute between two neighbors over noise coming from a swimming pool motor was discussed.

George Waters offered the following motion: IN ORDER TO FACILITATE THE PERFORMANCE OF ERNIE'S VARIOUS COMMITTEE CHAIR DUTIES AS HE TRAVELS AROUND THE LAKE, THE LBA WILL PURCHASE A CELL PHONE FOR HIS USE. Passed. Chris will follow up on this matter.

Mac Canter wrote up and made the following motion:

THAT THE PRESIDENT WRITE A LETTER TO MR. X REMINDING HIM OF THE REQUIREMENTS WHICH WERE CONDITIONS PRECEDENT TO THE APPROVAL GRANTED BY THE LBA, AND, FURTHER, THAT THE LETTER OF MAY 6 FROM MR. Y BE REFERRED TO THE ARC FOR REVIEW AND APPROPRIATE INVESTIGATION.    Passed.

WID: Stuart Finley reported that dredging has been completed. Agreement with VDOT has been entered into. WID is putting up $85,000 with possible reimbursement due to anticipated cost being around $70,000. Stu thanked George for his efforts in getting $200,000 toward this project from the state.

Sue questioned if Finley had been able to add the new LBA fireworks trailer to the WID policy and Finley stated that he had not but would check into it.

David discussed oiling of goose eggs. One nest was missed. The objective is to have no new births.

SPECIAL EVENTS: Sue Nixson reported that the Committee will meet on May 9, 2002 at 7:30 p.m.

FINANCE: In addition to issues raised earlier under "New Business," the Committee has scheduled its second meeting on accounting guidelines for May 16.

COMMUNITY WATCH/SECURITY: Pete Walker will write an article for the Newsletter about what he learned at the Mason District meeting held on Neighborhood Watch, with some thought to revitalizing Lake Barcroft's Neighborhood Watch. There was some discussion about the efficacy of having many volunteers take one turn, rather than having a few with an extended regular schedule of patrols.

WATER SAFETY/BEACHES: Peter Browne reported that sand will be delivered to all beaches by May 9.

ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY: David Feld reported that the goose barge and border collies will start making their rounds.. Friends of the Lake will have a utility barge patrol to clean up small lake trash on Fridays and on Saturday mornings. (Large concentrations of trash are the WID's responsibility.)

PARCEL A: George Waters reported that the LBA has retained the services of Ken Chadwick, an attorney specializing in homeowner association and real estate law. This was necessitated by legal questions that were raised by the developer of Parcel A including whether the LBA Board needed to take any additional legal action to officially annex the 12 new lots into the association. The developer is paying for the costs of this independent review which also includes further T-crossing and I-dotting on the conservation easements that the LBA and affected homeowners negotiated for. Closing is anticipated at the end of May but this deadline has slipped in the past. Chadwick has been in discussion with attorneys for the developer and is confident legal documents and subdivision of the land can take in a manner acceptable to the LBA and consistent with the previously adopted settlement agreement.

POTTERTON CAUSEWAY: George Waters reported that Q is concerned about the low point of the anticipated bridge design which will be 2 to 3 feet higher than the existing road and that when a major rain storm hits, the new design will make the low point significantly closer to Beachway causing his property to flood. VDOT’s design will actually turn the street itself into a dam. George wrote a letter to VDOT about this on behalf of the neighbors on either side of Potterton on the north side of the dam. George added that the bridge closed on Monday and will remain closed for 150 days.

The meeting was adjourned at 9:18 p.m.

Respectfully submitted by Barbara McGrew

 

Action Items from the May Board meeting:

  1. Look into having liability insurance cover appointed committee chairs and volunteers. KAREN, CHRIS
  2. Look into the possibility of indemnifying the WID in our policy. KAREN, CHRIS
  3. Report on Board motion regarding power lines and reasons for it in Newsletter and on Lake Link. BARBARA
  4. Report on ways to bury lines for individual households in Newsletter and on Lake Link. KAREN
  5. Purchase cell phone for Ernie Rauth. CHRIS
  6. Look into purchasing insurance for the trailer so that tags may be obtained. STUART