MINUTES OF THE LAKE BARCROFT ASSOCIATION BOARD OF DIRECTORS

 

January 14, 2004

 

The meeting of the Lake Barcroft Association (LBA) was called to order at 7:37 PM by President George McLennan at 6425 Lakeview Drive, Falls Church, Virginia. Those present were LBA Directors George McLennan, Karen Wehner, Regina Derzon, Uri Arkin, Mac Canter, David Dale and Diane Davidson. Other guests included LBA Board candidates Burma Klein and Shirley Timashev. Board members not present were David Feld, Bob Foster, Pete Walker and Frank Aukofer.

 

The minutes of December 10, 2003 were approved as corrected.

 

OLD BUSINESS

 

CALENDAR REVIEW: George reviewed the calendar with the Board for upcoming months.

 

TASK FORCE RECOMMENDATIONS: The Board discussed the recommendations at length and Karen suggested adopting the Task Force Committee recommendations as written. George will draft an action item list based on the WID/LBA responses.

Mac MOVED to accept the recommendations and implementations as suggested. Uri seconded. All in favor.

 

NEW BUSINESS

 

WID MAINTENANCE PROGRAM OFFER: George discussed the WID/LBA Maintenance Financing. He reported that WID has graciously agreed to give LBA $40,000 this year towards certain maintenance projects that fall under the WID charter. Mac MOVED to accept the proposal from the WID subject to the provision that a memorandum of the understanding be negotiated to cover procedural issues and implementation. Seconded by David Dale. All in favor.

 

CHANGES TO 2004 BUDGET: Karen noted the recommended $60 increase in the annual LBA fee approved at the December Board meeting now needed to be amended.

Diane MOVED to amend the budget to reflect an income of $40,000 from the WID and to make the necessary conforming adjustments to the budget. Seconded by Mac. All in favor.

Regina MOVED that the Board present to the full membership at the upcoming meeting an increase in fees of $20 effective 2004 and to rescind the Board’s action taken regarding fees increase at its December, 2003 Board meeting. Seconded by Diane. All in favor.

 

BEAVER POLICY UPDATE: George and Diane reported that the WID Trustees have agreed to dissociate WID from beaver matters and turned the matter of establishing community policy with respect to beavers over to LBA.

 

FEBRUARY ELECTION MEETING AGENDA: George will draft an agenda to discuss next month.

 

COMMITTEE REPORTS

 

TREASURER/FINANCE & AUDIT: Karen reported that the audit should be finalized very soon. She added that preliminary budget numbers indicate that LBA ended 2003 with $310 surplus that will go into reserves.

 

ARC: David reported that a lot of architectural plans are coming in and the committee is working through them. He suggested that at some point in time, the Board will need to discuss enforcement of the guidelines. George asked David to discuss this issue with his committee and come back to the Board with suggestions.

 

PUBLICATIONS: George reported that the newsletter will finish 2003 with a small surplus. In addition, 2004 advertising sales are off to a good start.

 

ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY: David raised the issue of recent non-subscription newspapers that are being distributed throughout the community. George discussed sending a letter but Mac felt that it should be an individual decision of each homeowner as to whether they want to receive a paper or not.

 

MEMBERSHIP: Regina reported that LBA received $600 in transfer fees.

 

IMPROVEMENTS COMMITTEE: The committee will finish 2003 slightly under budget thanks to a great deal of cost cutting by Mike Niebling.

 

The meeting was adjourned at 9:20 PM.

 

Respectfully submitted by,

 

Chris Lawson, Lake Manager