MINUTES OF THE LAKE BARCROFT ASSOCIATION BOARD OF DIRECTORS

 

March 9, 2005

 

The meeting of the Lake Barcroft Association (LBA) was called to order at 7:45 PM by President Dave Goslin at 6425 Lakeview Drive, Falls Church, Virginia. Those present were LBA Directors David Goslin, George McLennan, Karen Wehner, Pete Walker, Shirley Timashev, Diane Davidson, Kevin Howe, Mike Stahl, Carolyn Coldren, Stuart Feldstein, Gerry Mendenhall and Lark Lovering. Board member Frank Aukofer was not present. Dave Goslin welcomed the new Board members.

 

The minutes of February 9, 2005 approved as presented but Shirley requested that motions be italicized in future minutes. The minutes from the February 16, 2005 annual meeting were also presented.

 

ELECTION RESULTS:

 

ELECTION OF OFFICERS: Kevin Howe made a motion nominating David Goslin as President, George McLennan as Vice President, Karen Wehner as Treasurer and Lark Lovering as Secretary. Diane Davidson seconded. All in favor.

COMMITTEE ASSIGNMENTS: The following Board members have agreed to chair committees: ARC – Kevin Howe, Beach Maintenance – Mike Stahl, Community Watch – Pete Walker, Environmental Quality-Diane Davidson, Finance/Audit – Karen Wehner, Improvements Co-Chair – Gerry Mendenhall, Legal – Stuart Feldstein, Membership – Carolyn Coldren, Publications – Frank Aukofer, and Special Events – Shirley Timashev.

 

Other organizations with Lake Barcroft participation include: Lake Barcroft Foundation – Ralph Smalley, Fairfax Co. Fed. Of Civic Assoc. – Mary Anne Lecos, Va. Prop. Owners Assoc. – Regina Derzon, Culmore Action Group – Bob Schreiber.

 

OLD BUSINESS

 

CALENDAR REVIEW: The April and October Board meeting dates were changed from April 13 and October 12 to April 14 and October 19. A tree planting day on April 9th will be added to the calendar.

 

NEW LBA MEMBERS – REPORT ON EXPLORATIONS: George discussed houses that are part of the Malbrook development but chose not to be included in the lake 30 years ago. A new owner has inquired about being added to Lake Barcroft. George stated that the lots are not in the tax records. Joining the WID taxing level would likely require going through the state and WID has agreed to look into it. It would first be necessary to determine if it is feasible to add several lots and if the owners then want to start paying WID taxes as well as an LBA $3,500 membership fee plus legal fees estimated to be about $5,000. Concern was expressed that we determine more clearly the benefits and risks to Lake Barcroft of allowing inclusion of this or any similar lot, before going too far with raising the issue.

 

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARD: Pete Walker is going to form a committee to nominate possible awardees. Dave discussed an annual award to a person in the community who has made an exceptional contribution to the community. It was agreed to address nominees in August in order to present an award at the October Civic Affairs meeting. It was also agreed that the award need not be made every year.

 

NEW BUSINESS

 

PROPOSED LBA OBJECTIVES FOR 2005: Dave Goslin briefly discussed items the Board should do in 2005. Karen Wehner discussed the previous audit and headaches involved in finding someone to do it. Annual review was suggested but discussion was delayed at this time.

 

NEWCOMERS CLUB – RESTORATION OF FUNDING FOR WELCOME BASKETS: Dave discussed how the Newcomers Club distributes baskets and Karen Wehner discussed the history. Carolyn Coldren pointed out that the recommended $500 was in line with past costs.

 

Motion made by Kevin Howe to give $500 to Newcomers annually. Seconded by Diane Davidson. Karen abstained, motion carried.

 

COMMITTEE REPORTS

 

SPECIAL EVENTS: Shirley Timashev reported that Sand Day will be May 14. Refreshments will be offered. The Ice Cream Social will be in June.

 

WATER SAFETY/BEACH MAINTENANCE: Anne Marie Hardy is in town and a meeting will be scheduled with Mike Stahl.

 

TREASURER’S REPORT: Karen Wehner discussed the recent financial statement and asked the Board to review their category monthly. She distributed a new account sheet for the Board to follow and asked that they identify the account number on any reimbursements submitted.

 

ARC: Kevin Howe discussed the role of his committee and the appeal process. He requested that the Board hold making any motions until the resident is not present.

 

COMMUNITY WATCH/SECURITY: Pete Walker will start the police patrol on April 1. The Citizens Advisory Council gives an award to an officer and he would like to have this put into the Newsletter. Pete was referred to Carol Donlan, Newsletter Editor. He reported recent vandalism to the gazebo at Beach #5.

 

ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY: Kevin Howe reported that tree planting day will take place on April 9. He read the statement that will appear in the Newsletter.

 

LEGAL: Nothing new to report at this time.

 

MEMBERSHIP: Nothing new to report at this time.

 

PUBLICATIONS: Nothing new to report at this time.

 

IMPROVEMENTS: Dave Goslin discussed the recent meeting that took place and accounting matters were addressed. Activities for the upcoming year were discussed. Gerry Mendenhall discussed Mike Stahl’s concern about cul-de-sac improvements and whether the Board should be involved in deciding if community members in the circle should pay half the costs. Diane Davidson expressed a concern with regard to residents contacting the committee about things that they would like done and that a report should be given to the Board on decisions made. Her example was residents asking Delfino to trim trees that obstruct their view.

 

The meeting was adjourned at 9:32 PM.

 

Respectfully submitted by,

 

Mary Lark Lovering

 

 

 

MINUTES OF THE LAKE BARCROFT FOUNDATION

March 9, 2005

 

The meeting of the Lake Barcroft Foundation was called to order at 9: 40 PM by President David Goslin. Those present were David Goslin, George McLennan, Karen Wehner, Kevin Howe, and Mary Lark Lovering.

 

It was agreed that the two organizations would meet separately.

 

George McLennan made a motion: that the LBA board will take a look at the structure and operation of the Lake Barcroft Foundation. Kevin Howe seconded the motion which passed with all in favor.

 

George McLennon made a motion that any grants by the Lake Barcroft Foundation, the amount of funds, the disbursement of funds, and the number of scholarships must be approved by the LBF annually. The motion was seconded by Kevin Howe and passed with all in favor. Dave Goslin will send a letter to Eva Vasquez and Ralph --- to this effect.