MINUTES OF THE LAKE BARCROFT ASSOCIATION BOARD OF DIRECTORS

April 14, 2005

 

The meeting of the Lake Barcroft Association (LBA) was called to order at 7:42 PM by President David Goslin at 6425 Lakeview Drive, Falls Church, Virginia.  Those present were LBA Directors David Goslin, George McLennan, Karen Wehner, Pete Walker, Shirley Timashev, Diane Davidson, Kevin Howe, Carolyn Coldren, Stuart Feldstein, and Lark Lovering.  Board members not present were Mike Stahl and Jerry Mendenhall. 

 

The minutes of March 9, 2005 were approved as presented.  As the new secretary, Lark asked the Board to make note of their motions in order to make sure they are correctly reported in the minutes.

 

The minutes of March 9, 2005 of the Lake Barcroft Foundation were approved as corrected.

 

Dave reported that he has invited Eva Vasquez to come to the next meeting to discuss the Thurgood Marshall scholarship award process.

 

OLD BUSINESS

CALENDAR REVIEW:  Nothing new at this time.

 

NEW MEMBERS – UPDATE ON EXPLORATIONS:  Delayed until next month.

 

NEW BUSINESS

PROPOSED PROCEDURE FOR ENFORCING PAYMENT OF ANNUAL SERVICE FEES:  Dave reviewed his proposed policy statement on collecting outstanding fees.  Karen suggested including the procedure for issuing late notices.  A lengthy discussion took place. 

George made a motion to approve provisionally the proposed collection policy as drafted with the understanding that Dave will spell out  the sequence of events from billing to collection of any fees that are seriously overdue.  Kevin seconded the motion.  Dave’s description of the policy in the newsletter will ask for community feedback.  After 90 days, the proposed procedure will come back to the Board for a final vote, probably in August.  George accepted an amendment to his motion changing the language of the draft policy from two consecutive years to one year.     Motion to approve the proposed draft procedure carried, with Pete Walker abstaining.  Dave will send the revised proposal to Lark.

 

AD HOC COMMITTEE ON TECHNOLOGY DRAFT OBJECTIVES:  Delayed until next month.  Dave asked that suggestions for committee members be given to George McLennan.

 

COMMITTEE REPORTS

SECURITY:  Pete has volunteered to go to the police department at Mason District  and go through the records for the past three years to separate out events which occurred within Lake Barcroft.  Neighborhood patrol will start shortly.

 

SPECIAL EVENTS:  Shirley reported that Sand Day will be May 14 and the Ice Cream Social will be on June 11 (Rain date June 12) Neighborhood events will be easier to spot on the community website thanks to Shirley’s working with webmaster Charles Turner.   Shirley can now add upcoming events directly to the website, listings will be more up to date, and conflicts will be easier to avoid. 

 

 

WATER SAFETY:  Mike Stahl has met with Anne Marie Hardy and things are moving along.

 

TREASURER’S REPORT:  Collection of fees this year is ahead of collections at the same point last year.

 

ARC:  Kevin reported that he had received a typed anonymous letter about a fence.  View obstruction has been raised again.  Lawson reported that Basheer and Edgemore have submitted 6 ARC applications for new homes in the Cloisters.ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY:  Tree planting day will be on Sunday, April 10. 

 

LEGAL:  Nothing to report at this time.

 

MEMBERSHIP:  Carolyn reported that LBA received $600 in transfer fees for the month of March.  Presently there are 1013 active members, 4 non-members, 1 partial payer and 14 outstanding transfers.  As of a week ago there was only one house for sale in Lake Barcroft.

 

 

PUBLICATIONS:  Frank discussed the community handbook and is ready to move forward.  He will be redistributing sections of the book to various committee members for their review.  The Board will review it prior to publication.

 

The meeting was adjourned at 10:07 PM.

 

Respectfully submitted by,

 

Lark Lovering, Secretary