MINUTES OF THE LAKE BARCROFT ASSOCIATION BOARD OF DIRECTORS

 

September 14, 2005

 

The meeting of the Lake Barcroft Association (LBA) was called to order at 7:36 PM by President Dave Goslin at 6425 Lakeview Drive, Falls Church, Virginia.  Those present were LBA Directors David Goslin, George McLennan, Karen Wehner, Kevin Howe, Diane Davidson, Carolyn Coldren, Stuart Feldstein, Shirley Timashev, Mike Stahl and Jerry Mendenhall.  Board members Pete Walker, Frank Aukofer and Lark Lovering were not present. 

 

The minutes of July 13, 2005 were approved as corrected. 

 

OLD BUSINESS

 

CALENDAR REVIEW:  The calendar was reviewed. 

 

ANNUAL COMMUNITY SERVICE AWARD:  Dave read the names of the three nominees selected by the committee.  All three have made important contributions to the community.  The criteria for the award are: The individual has made an extraordinary effort over a substantial period of time; the effort has resulted in a lasting improvement to the community; the accomplishment has provided a direct benefit or service to the Lake Barcroft community.   George stated that he would like to add a fourth criteria for the selection of this award. 

 

Motion made by Kevin and seconded by George to amend the existing policy to include a fourth criteria:  the individual serves as a positive force in the community and as a role model for others.  All in favor.  The award will be presented at the annual membership meeting in February.

 

Upon a motion by George, and seconded by Diane, The Board unanimously approved making the award to one of the three candidates nominated by Pete Walker.   Dave asked George to develop a citation/paragraph about the award recipient.  George suggested a special glass plaque be given for this award and he will work with Chris on this.

 

TECHNOLOGY COMMITTEE’S PROGRESS REPORT:  George distributed a summary of  items that were discussed at a recent meeting held to  identify areas of information sharing and communications where applications of new technology or better use of current technology might result in a better level of services for the residents of Lake Barcroft.  He will continue to keep the Board informed of any updates.

 

NEW BUSINESS

 

ARC APPEAL:  Mr. Leigh Curry presented to the Board his reasons for appealing the ARC’s decision to deny his application to replace his dock, which substantially exceeds the ARC guidelines. .  He referred the Board to his letter of August 22.  In response to a question from the Board, Mr. Curry indicated that he was unwilling to modify his request for Board approval.  

Following discussion, the Board voted unanimously to support the ARC’s decision to deny Mr. Curry’s current proposal, but to encourage him to modify his proposal and resubmit it to the ARC. 

 

POLICY REGARDING DOCK CONSTRUCTION AND REPLACEMENT. Stuart reported on a recent meeting with the association’s attorney regarding enforcement of the ARC guidelines on size of docks. Following discussion, the Board voted unanimously to give preliminary approval to the following clarification of the Board’s policy in regard to the enforcement of ARC guidelines regarding the construction and replacement of docks:L“First, all future dock construction and replacement must receive ARC approval.  If such approval is not obtained, or the dock construction exceeds the terms of the ARC approval, the Board and the ARC will act to enforce compliance with the Guidelines.  Second, in the case of existing docks which were built without ARC approval and which exceed the Guidelines, the property owners will be notified that a notice of such violation will be included in the disclosure packet provided to the purchaser of the property.  Third, for existing docks which exceed the Guidelines but which received ARC approval, the ARC will consider replacements which replicate the existing dock on a case-by-case basis.”

 The Board further directed that this clarification be accompanied by an introduction describing the Board’s rationale for adopting this clarification, which shall be published to the community for comment prior to final consideration by the Board no earlier than January.

 

 

TRAFFIC CALMING ON DEARBORN DRIVE:  Dave is trying to arrange a meeting with involved parties, including Penny Gross,regarding the two speed humps recently installed on Dearborn with the goal of attempting to have the shorter and higher speed hump converted into a speed table.

 

PREPARATION FOR THE CIVIC AFFAIRS MEETING:  Dave discussed the agenda and the following agenda items were agreed upon:

 

Welcome and update from JEB Stuart Principal Mel Riddile

LBA report

WID report

Local representatives and candidates

 

COMMITTEE REPORTS

 

SPECIAL EVENTS: Shirley reported that the web page has been coordinated with the various organizations within the community and a calendar of events now exists for the various groups.  She stated that she had received a bill from a resident for reimbursements for expenses incurred over several past years.  Concern was expressed that these expenses could not be taken from past budgets and would have to come out of this year’s expenses.  The Board approved the request but asked that he be made aware that in the future, receipts must be submitted in the year that they were spent in order to receive reimbursement.

 

WATER SAFETY/BEACH MAINTENANCE:  Mike said there are 14 boats that do not have stickers or lot numbers on them and 48 boats that do not have 2005 stickers but do have lot numbers.  He will take steps to contact those that are identifiable.

Mike discussed a recent incident on the lake involving four teenagers, including two  residents, which was reported by the Water Safety Supervisor, Anne Marie Hardy, and involved alcohol and unsafe operation of a pontoon boat, as well as verbal harassment of a lifeguard. The Board discussed the situation at length and concluded that actions already taken by Anne Marie were sufficient to deal with the situation.

 

TREASURER’S REPORT:  Karen reported that the BBI tax returns have been signed and will be mailed.  Karen discussed her concern about the possibility of insurance rates increasing due to the recent hurricane and will contact our insurance representative to see what is expected for 2006.  She requested budget figures from Board members in preparation of the 2006 budget.

 

ARC:   Kevin discussed recent neighbor issues.  It was suggested that LBA might need the services of a professional arbitration specialist in the future to deal with intractable conflicts.

 

ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY:  Diane called attention to a draft policy regarding trees.  Stuart suggested including this in the HOA packets.  The Board voted unanimously to approve this policy statement.

 

LEGAL:  Stuart reported that the law requires a license to show movies at the beach and will relay this information to the appropriate person.

 

MEMBERSHIP:  Carolyn reported that LBA had received 3 new members and 7 transfers in August for a total of $11,200.  Presently there are 1035 lots.

 

PUBLICATIONS:

IMPROVEMENTS:  Jerry covered Mike’s report and discussed his request for $2,000 for the WID to spread surge stone and concrete-treated aggregate later this fall along beach 2’s driveway.

 

The meeting was adjourned at 11:15 PM.

 

Respectfully submitted by,

 

Chris Lawson, Acting Secretary