MINUTES OF THE LAKE BARCROFT ASSOCIATION

BOARD OF DIRECTORS


October 10, 2007


The meeting of the Lake Barcroft Association (LBA) was called to order at 7:40 p.m. by President Stuart Feldstein at 6425 Lakeview Drive, Falls Church, Virginia. Those present were LBA Directors Stuart Feldstein, David Goslin, Cindy Waters, Jerry Mendenhall, Carolyn Coldren, Bill Herz, Kevin Howe, Steve Klein, Lisa Levine, Joe Pisciotta, and Pete Walker. Mark Cavich and Shirley Timashev were not present.


The minutes of September 19, 2007 were presented. Dave Goslin moved to accept with a second by Lisa Levine. The minutes were approved unanimously.


A review of the agenda noted two major items for discussion: the budget and the boating incident.



OLD BUSINESS


CALENDAR REVIEW: A review of the calendar noted that the Newcomers’ Club Oktoberfest will be held on October 19. The date for the auction of unclaimed boats will be left open. A suggestion was made that the calendar changes should go on the website and Chris agreed to do that. Dave reminded Stuart that the letter to those residents who are delinquent in payments needs to be sent in December.


FIREWORKS UPDATE: Lisa will be getting together with the two potential interested resident volunteers soon.


CROMLEY ACCIDENT: Stuart indicated that the police report on the incident was similar to the report given to us by Kevin Hardy. It was factual and neutral. Marian has sent a memo to the Board asking LBA to “go after the Murphys.” Advice from counsel says that given what we know, we have been put in the middle. Stuart believes that we shouldn’t initiate a violation proceeding on the accident itself; however, we could explore three possible rule violations: (1) we could interpret the towing rule to have been violated (using the sailboard); (2) note that a resident shall have a current sticker and be on the boat (indicating that “resident” is the operative word); and/or (3) the motor on the boat may exceed what we allow. We cannot proceed against Murphy the way Marian wants; however, we can write a letter indicating that we are exploring the possible rule violations. Stuart indicated the need to respond as the Cromleys want action taken. Joe asked what the consequences are for violation – the statutory penalty is a $50 fine and/or withholding of common area privileges. The Board concluded that our course of action will be to write a letter to both parties concerning the allegations. In the meantime, Stuart will continue discussion with Chadwick and will share those comments with the Board. It was noted that this incident presents an opportunity for an article on resident obligations.


NOMINATING COMMITTEE: Dave noted that six current Board members are up for re-election – Mark Cavich, Dave Goslin, Bill Herz, Kevin Howe, Steve Klein and Jerry Mendenhall. Shirley Timashev is not seeking re-election, providing an opportunity for one new Board member. In addition to the incumbents, four non-incumbent candidates will be necessary for the ballot.



NEW BUSINESS


Stuart shared the Certificate of Recognition presented to us from the County.


BUDGET DISCUSSION: Jerry indicated that he is still waiting on information from Board members concerning the budget. He noted that the water safety and maintenance categories will be significantly different and that they comprise two-thirds of the budget. He will provide a draft at the November meeting, present the final to the Board in December, then present to the community in January. Stuart reiterated the need for information from Steve and Joe on estimates of capital expenditures.


IMPROVEMENTS: Steve reported that the proposed list for the common areas included comments from Chuck deSeve and George Waters. Stuart asked about the hillside in Parcel A. Steve responded that the landscape plan has gone through some revisions and that the primary concern now is that it makes no sense to plant unless we can also water. Steve also said that the budget amount ($20,000) was not quite correct – they plant what they plant with no money left over. The dates of October 20 and November 10 were set aside for planting but it may make more sense to wait until next year.


SPECIAL EVENTS: Lisa has been in discussion with the Pabilonias concerning the camp out suggestions. They are putting together a proposal and are looking at the possibility of a May date.


WATER SAFETY/BEACH MAINTENANCE: Joe indicated that he has asked non-residents to leave the beaches. He also said that he will be meeting with Kevin Hardy in the near future. Finally, it was noted that we have purchased units from Don’s Johns for the beaches – four at $175 and one handicapped unit at $275.


TREASURER/FINANCE & AUDIT: Jerry mentioned that the proper handling of our interest and dividends be recognized as income in our operating fund. He also indicated that the retaining wall monies should be in a separate fund but that there is an earnings advantage to keeping it commingled. He will be doing further analysis concerning the need for a fee increase. He has also been looking at different firms for our tax preparation and will now sign a contract with a new firm. Finally, he indicated that while an audit makes the community comfortable, maybe we should only audit assets instead of including the income statement. Dave suggested that perhaps a complete audit was preferable.


ARC: Kevin noted that plans for a project on Rusticway will probably be allowed to proceed. He also said that a Lakeview house has been found to be in potential violation.


ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY: Bill said that Geese Peace is over for the year. The boat needs to go in storage and that WID will assist. The motor will go to Joe’s house. He also talked about the need to replant canopy trees and the possibility of offering incentives to residents to do so. He also mentioned the Board of Supervisors’ initiative to preserve old, large trees.


LEGAL: The boating incident is the only current issue.


MEMBERSHIP: Carolyn reported that there were three transfers for a total of $300 in fees. Currently, we have1,029 members, one partial member, four non-members and ten outstanding transfers for a total of 1,044.


PUBLICATIONS: A three part report was provided by Stuart on behalf of Mark. Directory: goes to the printer within two weeks. Newsletter: Resident Daphne Butas has volunteered to be the new editor. Website: The rules have been moved into a separate subheading but they also still appear under documents.


OTHER BUSINESS: Stuart reminded all of the Community Meeting scheduled for Wednesday evening, October 24, at Belvedere.


The meeting was adjourned at 9:30 p.m.


Respectfully submitted by:


Cindy Waters

LBA Secretary