MINUTES OF THE LAKE BARCROFT ASSOCIATION
BOARD OF DIRECTORS

December 10, 2008

The meeting of the Lake Barcroft Association (LBA) was called to order at 7:35 p.m. by President Cindy Waters at 6425 Lakeview Drive, Falls Church, Virginia.  Those present were LBA Directors Cindy Waters, Dave Goslin, Stuart Feldstein, Jerry Mendenhall, Joel Gregorio, Steve Klein, Lisa Levine, Joe Pisciotta, Kevin Howe, Bill Herz and Kim Smith. Board member Mark Cavich was not present. Also in attendance was Lake resident George Erikson.
           
The minutes of November 12, 2008, were approved as presented.

OLD BUSINESS

CALENDAR REVIEW:  The calendar was reviewed.  Cindy requested that future calendar reviews in November and December include the following calendar year.

NOMINATING COMMITTEE UPDATE:  Stuart stated that bios are due by December 17.  He will send another reminder notice to the candidates.

BUDGET DISCUSSION:  Jerry reviewed the 2009 proposed budgets.  He noted that there is not much of a change from the drafts.  Joe inquired about the higher Lifeguard Supervisor compensation and taxes. Jerry explained that it includes the Supervisor’s higher salary and SS and FICA taxes.  Steve asked about the “negative” cost of the RPA garden.  Jerry explained that the amount of $4,757.83 has been moved to the capital expenditures assets.  Bill asked whether the 2009 budget is adequately funded for the water safety considering the 2007 to 2008 increase.  Jerry and Joe both responded that the budget is realistic. Dave inquired about the reduced 2009 budget for the Funds compared with 2008. Cindy mentioned that there may be a need to pay for a Maintenance Supervisor.  Steve indicated that he has had no response to his LakeLink requests for volunteers.  Kevin recalled that it was difficult to find somebody when George McLennan reluctantly stepped into the Maintenance position. There was general discussion regarding maintenance for the community common properties, including a possible salary for the position.  There was also agreement that a Maintenance Supervisor salaried position will not be added to the 2009 budget, but there will be further discussions.  It was also noted that only $1,600 was budgeted for beach tags when the actual cost for 2008 was $4,200.  Jerry stated that he will look into the discrepancy.  Lisa asked if the $10,400 budget for the fireworks is realistic.  Kevin responded that he and Walter decided to try for one more year to handle the fireworks, rather than contracting out to Zambelli. Lastly, Jerry noted that we are planning to borrow approximately $23,000 from the Reserve Fund to balance the LBA 2009 budget.  Jerry recommended that we consider a $40 dues increase beginning in 2010.  He explained that the dues have not been increased in more than 20 years but that we have kept pace with inflation.  Jerry confirmed that he will move forward with the budget numbers, except for the question pertaining to the beach tags and stickers.  All voted in favor of adopting the budget as amended.
Action Items:  Jerry will review the beach tags and beach stickers’ costs and budgets.

BEACH RULES COMMITTEE:  Dave Goslin reviewed the revised rules.  There were discussions around the substantive changes, including:

Dave motioned that the Board accept these changes as discussed by the Board, pending decision to notify the community about any of these changes.  Kevin seconded the motion. All voted in favor of the motion. 
Action Items:  Stuart will consider whether any of the recommendations require community notification and/or approval. He will report at the January 2009 meeting.

FUTURES COMMITTEE:  Jerry reported the Committee has met regularly and that a draft report will be available by January 27.  The report will subsequently be made available at the February civic meeting.  There was general discussion about specific questions in the survey. 
Action Items:  All Board members should review and comment on the final draft survey questions by the end of the week.
           
TRAFFIC CALMING TASK FORCE: Stuart reported that approximately 50 people attended the November 17 open meeting, including proponents and opponents of traffic calming.  At that meeting, the task force announced that they met with Senator Mary Margaret Whipple.  Since then she has met with V-DOT, who expressed willingness to consider traffic calming devices that are currently not available under the RTAP program, such as speed cushions. The next meeting is open and is scheduled for December 11.  Stuart clarified that VDOT is concerned with the streets and the County is concerned about signage.  Mr. Erikson noted that the meeting with Senator Whipple was a surprise and possibly outside of the scope of the RTAP program, which pertain to guidelines specifically for the community. He also stated that he believes the Task Force is not following the RTAP rules. He asked whether the Board believes that it has no regard to the process. Stuart clarified that the TF is a county committee.Action Items:  None reported.
           
LBA MISSION STATEMENT DISCUSSION: No Report.           
Action Item: Cindy will research whether other HMOs have mission statements.

HOME BUSINESSES:  Stuart recalled that the current LBA covenants clearly states that home businesses are not permitted, except physicians. Stuart also recalled that the Board has previously agreed that home businesses will not be challenged, but nor can they advertise on LakeLink or in the News Letter.  Stuart researched the subject, including discussion with our attorney Ken Chadwick, and found that the Property Owners Act (POA) states that the Declarations can be changed if voted for by a true two-thirds of the residents.  The POA was updated 2 years ago to allow covenants changes.  Because our covenants were in effect long before this change in the POA, an absolute 2/3 vote could be subject to a challenge. Stuart also reported that, under county zoning rules, R-2 properties, which Lake Barcroft properties are, our covenants are inconsistent. Home occupation and professional home business are the two types of home based businesses allowed by the County with certain restrictions. There were further general discussions.
Action Items:  Stuart will draft a background memorandum as well as a resolution.
WATER SAFETY SUPERVISOR:  Kevin mentioned that he has not yet moved the lifeguard boat motors to storage.  Joe reported that Kevin Hardy still has not made a decision regarding his availability for next summer. Cindy recommended that Joe give Mr. Hardy a deadline.
Action Items:  Joe to report in January whether Kevin Hardy will return as our Lifeguard Supervisor.  Kevin Howe will ensure that the boat motors are moved to storage.

OTHER OLD BUSINESS:
No other old business was reported or discussed.

NEW BUSINESS

FIREWORKS:            Kevin reported that he and Walter will be managing the fireworks next year. Zambelli will not be contracted to manage the fireworks display, but we will still purchase the fireworks from Zambelli and use their permit.  The 2009 fireworks will be handled the same as past years with volunteers.
Action Items: None reported.

OTHER NEW BUSINESS:
No other new business was discussed.

COMMITTEE REPORTS

IMPROVEMENTS:  Steve reported that the tree replacement program was a success.  He also reported that the Butterfly Garden area has been cleared and is ready for planting in the spring.  Steve also reported that there has been beaver damage to the RPA garden.
Action Items:  None reported.

SPECIAL EVENTS:  Lisa reported that the Newcomers Holiday Party will be held this weekend at the Moose Lodge. She also reported that there will be a holiday house decorations contest this year and that more information is forthcoming.
Action Items:  None reported.

WATER SAFETY AND BEACH MAINTENANCE:  No further report beyond the Supervisor discussions.
Action Items:  Joe will report to the Board next month on his discussions with Mr. Hardy.

TREASURER’S REPORT:  Jerry recommended that all independent contractors sign a contract, including the off-duty police who do patrols in the summer.  He and Stuart have nearly completed contract.
Action Item:  None reported. 

ARC:  Kevin inquired about a port-a-potty at a house on Lakeview.  There was general discussion about whether construction was occurring and whether there were proper permits. Stuart asked about another property where the owner is planning to modify the roof from a flat roof to a 5/12 pitch roof.  There was general discussion about lakeside owners blocking views of neighbors across the street. Stuart clarified that no owner has rights to views.
Action Item: Kevin will send a letter to the Lakeview property owner with a port-a-potty in the front yard.  Kevin will also obtain architectural plans from the resident planning to raise her roof.

COMMUNITY WATCH:  Kim reported that there have been several “suspicious” activities in the neighborhood, including door-bell ringing late at night. She stated that the incidents are more pervasive than is being reported on LakeLink, based on emails and calls she has received.  She has posted some helpful warning tips to residents on Lakelink.  She has also contacted people to try and recruit some volunteers to become involved in the Neighborhood Watch program, especially for the remainder of December.
Action Items:  Kim will continue to recruit volunteers for the Neighborhood Watch program.

ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY: Cindy inquired about the muskrats.  Bill confirmed that the muskrat population has increased in the community.  Kevin stated that “Stink” bugs are also very apparent. 
Action Items:  No actions reported.

LEGAL COMMITTEE:  No report.
Action Items:  None reported.

MEMBERSHIP:  Joel read his report updating the Board on receipts, including that 4 transfer payments were collected in November.
Action Items:  None reported.           

PUBLICATIONS:  Cindy stated that Mark would like to purchase a $50 gift certificate for Daphne Butas, who recently gave birth to a new child.  The Board approved the expenditure.
Action Items:  None reported.

The meeting was adjourned at 10:21 PM.  Next Board meeting is January 14, 2010.

Respectfully submitted by,

Kimberly Smith
LBA Secretary