MINUTES OF THE LAKE BARCROFT ASSOCIATION
BOARD OF DIRECTORS

April 8, 2009

The meeting of the Lake Barcroft Association (LBA) was called to order at 7:38 p.m. by President Cindy Waters at 6425 Lakeview Drive, Falls Church, Virginia.  Those present were LBA Directors Cindy Waters, Dave Goslin, Jerry Mendenhall, Joel Gregorio, Kevin Howe, Warren Russell, Bill Herz, Mark Cavich, Sally Determan, Eva Kosztarab and Kim Smith were present.  Board members not present were Stuart Feldstein and Steve Klein.  Kim Smith attended by teleconference.  Lake resident Greg Pedersen was also present.

The minutes of March 11, 2009 were approved as presented.

Cindy mentioned an upcoming legal seminar offered by our legal firm that will be coming up for those interested in attending.

Cindy stated that she had received a notice from the Fairfax County Park Authority with regard to voicing thoughts on their services.

OLD BUSINESS

CALENDAR REVIEW: Two items were stricken as moot and the Newcomer’s Party date was added for April 25.

FUTURES COMMITTEE:  Dave reported that 647 surveys were mailed that day to the survey company to start on the analysis and he hopes to have the results shortly.  He added that approximately 90 people have volunteered, 47 in general and 43 for Neighborhood Watch.  Dave asked the Board how best to handle distribution of this list.  Jerry suggested appointing a volunteer coordinator.  Sally suggested e-mailing the volunteers letting them know what the needs are to see what people are interested in.  Dave suggested Cindy sending an e-mail thanking those that volunteered.  Jerry discussed the concern of not having any documents to pass on to future committee chairs regarding their job description and duties.  Kim proposed that each chair of a committee have a document which will help in determining the needs for volunteers and that goals should be dated.  Warren, as membership chair, agreed to assist with working with the new volunteer list.
ACTION ITEM: Cindy to send volunteers a thank you email.

MAINTENANCE PERSON POSITION:  Jerry discussed the process that was involved in selecting a maintenance person.  Three candidates were interviewed for the position and the committee made a selection.  The respective qualifications of the final two candidates were discussed along with their availability to commit to the time necessary for the proposed position. An annual salary was also discussed.  Kevin suggested developing a committee from the list of volunteers that have recently been received from the survey before agreeing to pay someone.  A long discussion on the merits of using volunteers vs. having a paid manager ensued. Kim suggested since this maintenance person is not a 2009 budgeted category, that we wait until the next budget cycle.  Joel questioned the job description for this position as the Board had not been given the list of responsibilities. 
A motion was made by Kevin and seconded by Joel to table the decision to hire a Maintenance Manager for one month until the next LBA Board meeting.  Sally, Dave, Eva and Bill opposed.  Motion carried.

TRAFFIC CALMING TASK FORCE:  Nothing new at this time to report.  They are still waiting to hear back from VDOT about a walk through.

NEW BUSINESS

ARC GUIDELINES MODIFICATION:  Kevin stated that the committee would like to modify the guidelines where it states residents have 10 days to respond and would like to make it 30. 

A motion was made by Dave and seconded by Bill to table this discussion at this time.  All voted in favor.

Dave asked for a one page description to be sent to the Board prior to the next meeting. 

BEACH RULES UPDATE:  Kim reported that on March 20 at Beach 2 and on March 13 at Beach 3, bon fires had been reported.  She proposed that a paragraph be added to the beach rules that no open flame fires except for charcoal for cooking were permitted. 

A motion was made by Dave and seconded by Kevin that the beach rules be modified "to prohibit open  flame fires or camp fires in the common areas except for charcoal fires made in grills or unless permission has been granted by the Lake  Barcroft Association in advance.”  All in favor.

COMMITTEE REPORTS

IMPROVEMENTS:  Report already given.

SPECIAL EVENTS:  Joel spoke to Lisa Levine about getting the community signs for Sand Day.  Signs for sand day will be the next event posted. He also spoke with Missy Henrikson’s daughter about Sand Day.

WATER SAFETY/BEACH MAINTENANCE:  Sally has met with Joe Pisciotta.  Kevin Hardy’s contract has been sent to him and he has faxed back a signed copy. There was a discussion of the housing allowance provided to him. Sally asked the Board to contact her with suggestions for beach captains for Beach Clean Up Day on May 2.

TREASURER’S REPORT:  Jerry called attention to the March financial statement.  He asked committee chairs responsible for their budget to let him know if there are any anticipated major expenses coming up for the remainder of the year.  Discussion about street sweeping took place and it was agreed that Bill Herz should contact the WID to request that they continue to do it. 
ACTION ITEM: Bill Herz to contact WID about street sweeping.

ARC:  Cindy responded privately to residents regarding recent violation.  Kevin discussed subdivision proposal of an existing lot on Dearborn to be subdivided into 2 lots.  The new lot created will be required to pay the $3,500 membership fee to join the Lake Barcroft Association.

COMMUNITY WATCH/SECURITY:  Kim and Steve walked around the community areas to review signage. They determined that no two beaches had the same signs and that some of the signs were almost invisible due to their small size, paint color or fading, particularly in the community garden. Recommendations will be made to the Board.

Kim has received the vests and signs for Neighborhood Watch and reported that 133 residents have signed up to volunteer.

ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY:  Nothing new at this time.

LEGAL: Nothing to report.

MEMBERSHIP: Nothing to report.

PUBLICATIONS:  Mark reported that he was working on an official LBA logo to be able to standardize on all our media, such as the web site, directory and newsletter.  He hopes to begin work on the 2010-2012 directory this summer. 

The meeting was adjourned at 9:57 PM.

Respectfully submitted,

Eva Kosztarab
Secretary