MINUTES OF THE LAKE BARCROFT ASSOCIATION
BOARD OF DIRECTORS

May 13, 2009

The meeting of the Lake Barcroft Association (LBA) was called to order at 7:38 p.m. by President Cindy Waters at 6425 Lakeview Drive, Falls Church, Virginia. Those present were LBA Directors Cindy Waters, Stuart Feldstein, Eva Kosztarab, Dave Goslin, Jerry Mendenhall, Joel Gregorio, Kevin Howe, Steve Klein and Warren Russell. Kim Smith attended by teleconference. Board members not present were Bill Herz, Mark Cavich and Sally Determan. Other guests included Ralph Smalley, Chair of the Thurgood Marshall Scholarship Committee.

The minutes of April 8, 2009 were approved as presented.

Ralph Smalley discussed the Thurgood Marshall Scholarship and its history. Funds are divided into a money market account, stocks and bonds. He reported that for this year, two students were selected. One student will receive $6,000 and the other will receive $3,000. He explained the criteria and process in reviewing the applications. Presentation will be this month at JEB Stuart. Need, academics and essays are the three categories in which the students are selected. Stuart pointed out that only $9,000 will be given this year instead of the $12,000 given last year due to the economy. Dave pointed out that the TMF falls under the LBF and technically the LBA Board approves this process.

A motion was made by Stuart and seconded by Dave to approve the recommended recipients and their awards of $9,000 total. All in favor.

CALENDAR REVIEW: It was noted that the letters to non-payers of dues should be sent in June, not September.

FUTURES COMMITTEE: Dave reported on the survey results and that approximately 630 were received. He went over the results with the Board and added that the issue of security received the most favorable response. Jerry said he is working with Lisa and the futures committee and will report back to the Board.
ACTION ITEM: Dave to write LBA newsletter article about the survey results.

MAINTENANCE POSITION: Kevin discussed the desire to have someone share the maintenance position. He added that the community has been run by volunteers and maybe we could come up with a different idea prior to hiring someone as he was concerned about losing our current volunteers. Jerry, Kevin, Kim and Joel have developed a plan that creates a “volunteer work force” that could be tested for the next year. Jerry presented a Power Point presentation. Dave said he would like to see the resume of the parties involved and interview both Aras Butas and Peter Downs. A lengthy discussion took place.

The previous motion that was tabled last month was again made by Stuart to hire Greg Pederson as the paid maintenance supervisor at a salary of $300 a week for a trial period to end January 15, 2010 and to then reassess as to whether to hire him again. Five voted in favor, including Cindy; however, her vote did not count as there was no tie. Opposed were Jerry, Kevin, Joel, Kim and Warren. Cindy stated that she had proxies from Sally and Bill in favor. The two proxies were contested as both parties were not aware of the additional plan on the table. The vote was not finalized. Stuart was to research the use of proxies at a Board meeting. It was ultimately determined by Stuart that the Articles of Incorporation and Bylaws do not authorize the use of proxies. Consequently, the final vote was 4 votes in favor of hiring a maintenance supervisor with 5 votes opposed.

The motion to hire a maintenance supervisor was defeated.

TRAFFIC CALMING: Stuart reported that VDOT has agreed on Tuesday, June 9 at 10:00 AM as the date to walk through the community. This date will be posted on Lakelink. Another town meeting will then follow and they will put together what they would like the county to do.
ACTION ITEM: Stuart or Kevin Kampschroer to post date on LakeLink.

ARC GUIDELINE MODIFICATION: Kevin said the main change to the guidelines is that the committee meets just once a month. He proposed changing the ten day comment period to a twenty day comment period.

A motion was made by Dave and seconded by Stuart to approve the proposed ARC changes. All in favor.

Accordingly, the following modified ARC guidelines are the final version:
FINAL CHANGES
Lake Barcroft Architectural Guidelines

Residents are encouraged to present their plans to all affected neighbors. The ARC will notify affected neighbors of an application by mail. The ARC will not make a final decision regarding an application until a 20-day notice and comment period has passed to allow for neighbors to share any comments they may have. The deadline date for the end of the comment period will be noted in the letter sent to affected neighbors who should provide their comments to the ARC by that deadline date. The deadline date will be at least 20 calendar days after the date of the notice.

The ARC meets once a month, generally during the first week of the month. All applications are presented to and discussed by the members present.

Conforming applications are those which conform to the Guidelines and include all
the information required by the Guidelines (clear and concise drawings,
explanation of style, color, etc.). Submitted applications are checked by a member
of the ARC assigned on a rotating basis prior to the monthly meeting. Approved conforming applications are copied and sent back to the applicant once the ARC has held its meeting and approved the submission.

It is the goal of the ARC to complete review within 35 days of receiving a conforming application. Certain complex applications or those that raise Guidelines policy issues may require a site visit. In such cases, the applicant or applicants will be contacted and may be asked to be present for the ARC meeting concerning his or her case. In these cases, a submission may take longer than 35 days to review, but the goal of the ARC will remain to make a decision without undue delay.

COMMITTEE REPORTS

IMPROVEMENTS: Steve presented a proposal submitted by Luis Fernandez on the Woman’s Club Pond Repairs and Relining. Jerry pointed out that the money for the repairs would come from the capital improvements asset account, not the current operating budget.

A motion was made by Kevin and seconded by Dave that the Board allocate a sum not to exceed $10,000 to rebuild the existing pond in accordance with the plans submitted by Luis Fernandez over the next 4 months. All in favor.

Cindy circulated a letter from a resident requesting a new swing set for Beach 2.

A motion was made by Kevin and seconded by Joel to authorize her to move forward and to come back to the Board with a proposal. All in favor.
ACTION ITEM: Cindy to ask resident to come back to the Board with a specific proposal for the cost involved in the project.

Kim stated that half the money from the $5,000 grant from Fairfax County must be used by June 30 for the Community Garden plantings.

SPECIAL EVENTS: Joel gave a brief report on Sand Day and stated that it was well attended.

COMMUNITY WATCH/SECURITY: Kim reported on recent incidents at Beach 2. Neighborhood Watch was contacted several times and the beaches have been active. Boat patrol has begun as well. Officer Chip Connor has started the police security patrol. Slots are being filled by the officers in approximate 4 hour shifts which has primarily been on the weekends but in June they will start 10 PM to 5 AM and they can choose their 4 hour shift. It may be time to increase the number and duration of the patrols. It was suggested that next year the patrol should start earlier and extend into September/October with possible double shifts on the weekends. Increasing the budget was discussed. Kim will be asked to present a proposal next month to the Board. Overall, the Neighborhood Watch has been very successful. Kim informed the Board that she has met with Sally and Cindy to come up with new signs for the beaches. Would like to make them white with blue writing. Cindy discussed the idea of an officer doing on-lake patrols with his boat. This had been done several years earlier.

WATER SAFETY: Sally has been working closely with Kevin Hardy. Cindy read Kevin’s e-mail and updated the Board.

TREASURER’S REPORT: Jerry called attention to the statement in the packet.

ARC: Kevin reported on a recent fence issue and will be sending a letter.

ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY: Bill is working on the Chesapeake Bay handbook. GeesePeace will be starting soon with Holly.

LEGAL: Stuart reported about the recent discussion about neighbor noise on Lakelink.

MEMBERSHIP: Warren reported two $100 payments in April were received.

PUBLICATIONS: Mark has updated the website branding. TheWikipedia information regarding Lake Barcroft is not accurate. Tony Bracken, author of the Lake Barcroft History book to be consulted.
ACTION ITEM: Cindy to call Tony Bracken to ask him to update Wikipedia info.

The meeting was adjourned at 10:39 PM.