MINUTES OF THE LAKE BARCROFT ASSOCIATION
BOARD OF DIRECTORS

August 12, 2009

The meeting of the Lake Barcroft Association (LBA) was called to order at 7:33 p.m. by President Cindy Waters at 6425 Lakeview Drive, Falls Church, Virginia. Those present were LBA Directors Cindy Waters, Stuart Feldstein, Eva Kosztarab, David Goslin, Jerry Mendenhall, Bill Herz, Joel Gregorio, Mark Cavich, Sally Determan, Steve Klein, Warren Russell and Kevin Howe. Kim Smith was not present. Other guests included lake resident, George Erikson.

The minutes of July 8, 2009 were approved as corrected.

OLD BUSINESS

FUTURES COMMITTEE: Jerry reported that a draft report is being submitted to the committee for review and he hopes to report on the results at the Setpember meeting.

TRAFFIC CALMING TASK FORCE: Stuart reported that the results of the walk with VDOT were published on LakeLink. The chairman of the Task Force is seeking alternatives. Pace of the task force work has been slow. George Erikson asked the Board to consider providing resources to the Task Force by getting technical advice from an independent engineering firm . He proposed the Board grant up to $3,000 in fees to a licensed engineer to provide such advice. He felt the task force is wandering outside of its mandate. It was agreed to take this up at the next Board meeting. He asked the legal committee to check on the statute of limitations regarding the removal of the speed humps on Dearborn Drive.
ACTION ITEM: Stuart to research the statute of limitations for the Dearborn Drive speed humps.

NEW BUSINESS

DAM/NO TRESPASSING SIGNS: Eva reported that the property located at the bottom of the dam belongs to BBI. The WID has reported that the pool of water at the bottom has become a swimming pool for trespassers. The WID is asking LBA to give them permission to put up “No Trespassing” signs.

A motion was made by Eva and seconded by Stuart that Davis Grant of the WID be given permission to purchase and install at WID's expense "No Trespassing" signs on the BBI common property located around the bottom of the dam. All in favor.

Kevin Howe reported that the floating dock used by the J.E.B. Stuart Crew Team at Beach 4 is being used by people to dive off of. WID will be asked to remove it as they originally built it for the crew team.
ACTION ITEM: Kevin to ask WID to remove floating dock.
COMMITTEE REPORTS

IMPROVEMENTS: Jerry reported that the community garden is moving forward and the next work date is scheduled for August 22 for those interested in helping out. Port a Johns have been secured with concrete slabs at all of the beaches. Jerry did a sign inventory and will catalog the signs by location. Sally stated that she had also done this with Kim Smith. Sally and Jerry agreed that they will meet to compare notes. Jerry reported that there is a washed out area on Lakeview which he plans to report to VDOT for repair. Sally requested that the drainage issues at Beach 4 and Beach 2 be reviewed and remedied. Jerry read the request from a resident to build an additional boat rack for Beach 2. He wants to look at the available boat rack space and will respond to the resident. Jerry gave an update on the Beach 3 pathway. He reported that the committee was looking at putting a wooden pathway to the right side of the existing path. Dave suggested an alternative of removing the current gravel path and putting in asphalt instead. He requested a cost estimate for an asphalt path. Cindy requested that the Improvements Committee send a list of options by e-mail to the Board for their review.
ACTION ITEM: Jerry to get cost estimates for asphalting of the Beach 3 gravel path.

SPECIAL EVENTS: Joel has requested documentation on the Ice Cream Social details for use by future coodinators. Kevin Howe to get him information regarding details for the fireworks show. The Labor Day games are moving forward. Joel said he would like an LBA banner for Lake Barcroft events.

WATER SAFETY/BEACH MAINTENANCE: Sally reported that the season is running smoothly. End of season is approaching and Kevin Hardy has been pleased with the current staff. Sally discussed past bonuses. Kevin Howe reported a complaint about the location of the Beach 1 Port a John.

TREASURER’S REPORT: Steve stated that the 2008 taxes have not been filed. The bookkeeper is gathering information for the accountant. The non-profit Form 990 for 2008 has been revised and the accountant has agreed to supply some sample answers to the new questions.

ARC: Kevin discussed an issue on Barger Drive. Residents on Barger would like the Board to get involved. Sally suggested having the Board send Penny Gross a letter regarding the issues. George Erikson informed the Board of information on this issue. Board felt Barger Drive residents who were complaining needed some guidance on how to pursue their complaints. Cindy agreed to give them guidance.
ACTION ITEM: Cindy to give guidance on complaint process to Barger Drive residents.

COMMUNITY WATCH: Cindy reported for Kim about the recent egging of cars. Beach 3 Port a John is left unlocked at all times and she wondered if there was a reason. Sally will check with Kevin.
ACTION ITEM: Sally to determine why Port a John at Beach 3 is left unlocked.
ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY: Bill discussed a recent question regarding acceptable water quality.

LEGAL: Stuart brought up the issue of the public fishing off of the Potterton Bridge and asked Eva to report on it. Eva received an email from resident Pat DiVito about VDOT having a 7 ft. of right of way on either side of the bridge. Research showed that VDOT only has a 30 foot right of way and the bridge is 31 feet wide. Consequently, when people fish off of the bridge, they are not in the public right of way and they are trespassing. Virginia Department of Environmental Quality says that the water in Lake Barcroft is public water and belongs to the Commonwealth of Virginia. While this is generally true, research shows that a private lake that is non-navigable (not used for trade or commerce activities) may limit public access to the lake. As a result, we can completely ban the public from the use of Lake Barcroft and limit its use to our residents.

MEMBERSHIP: Warren reported three $100 transfer fees received in the month of July.

PUBLICATIONS: Mark reported that the next directory will start soon. A person was named in charge of advertising. The website will soon have a new host. This month’s newsletter will have a 4 page color spread including the fireworks pictures. Chris will send new resident info to Mark to post in the online directory.

George raised a concern about the wake caused by the guard boats. Sally was asked to address this with Kevin. This will be on the agenda next month.

The meeting was adjourned at 9:58 PM.