MINUTES OF THE LAKE BARCROFT ASSOCIATION
BOARD OF DIRECTORS

September 9, 2009

The meeting of the Lake Barcroft Association (LBA) was called to order at 7:33 p.m. by President Cindy Waters at 6425 Lakeview Drive, Falls Church, Virginia. Those present were LBA Directors Cindy Waters, Eva Kosztarab, David Goslin, Jerry Mendenhall, Joel Gregorio, Sally Determan, Steve Klein, Mark Cavich, Warren Russell and Kim Smith. Kevin Howe, Stuart Feldstein and Bill Herz were not present. Attendees included lake resident George Erikson.

The minutes of August 12, 2009 were approved as corrected.

Boat auction to be discussed next month.

OLD BUSINESS

FUTURES COMMITTEE: Jerry is waiting for comments from Board members.
ACTION ITEM: Jerry to finalize Futures Committee Report.

TRAFFIC CALMING: Cindy reported on behalf of Stuart that he has looked into the statue of limitations regarding appealing the speed humps and there is none.

DAM/NO TRESPASSING SIGNS: Eva reported that 15 “No Trespassing” signs have been placed by the WID in the area below the dam. Some also state “Private Property”.

NEW BUSINESS

NOMINATING COMMITTEE: Cindy stated that the committee must be chaired by the Vice President and Membership Chair. Membership of the committee shall consist of 1 person each from the north, south and middle sides of the lake.
ACTION ITEM: Cindy to call residents to serve on Nominating Committee.

NO WAKE DISCUSSION: This issue involves the gas powered boats used by LBA, the WID and GeesePeace. Pontoon boats are already covered by a “no wake” rule under the boating policies. Sally discussed Kevin Hardy’s email response regarding the current wake policy. Kim stated that die to erosion issues she had to have a seawall built which cost her money. Dave proposed again to have buoys stating “slow zone” such as by Beach 4.

ANNUAL CIVIC AFFAIRS MEETING: Cindy discussed the agenda from last year. Kaye Kory, Danny Smith, Penny Gross and Bob Hull should be invited. Sally suggested inviting Gerry Connelly and our state senators and the governor. Cindy will work on the community recognition guidelines. Cindy suggested waiting to announce community recognition awards until the February civic affairs meeting.
ACTION ITEM: Cindy to develop process for nominating people for community recognition by the Board.

COMMITTEE REPORTS: Jerry called attention to a letter received from Priscilla Weck and the McCalls thanking LBA and Delfino’s crew for helping with maintenance of the Pintree Circle. It was agreed that the project should be reported in the newsletter. Jerry reviewed a three page status report on the maintenance/improvements projects. Cindy thanked Kim for all of her efforts on the development of the butterfly garden.
ACTION ITEM: Jerry to write article about Pinetree Circle project for the newsletter.

SPECIAL EVENTS: Joel reported that the Community Garden planting had a large number of volunteers. The Labor Day games went well. He is still trying to get notes from committee members on past events. He may try to get cones and put up “slow down” signs for the streets around Beach 3 for next year’s Labor Day Games.
ACTION ITEM: Joel to get guidelines from committee members for the Ice Cream Social, Fireworks and Labor Day Games.

WATER SAFETY: Sally reported on behalf of WSS Kevin Hardy that this season was one of his best ever for staffing. He hopes to expand swim lessons next year.

TREASURER’S REPORT: Steve said he would have drafts available for certifications required by the IRS at the October meeting. Dues increase for 2010 was briefly discussed.

ARC: Cindy reported that the house on Barger Drive is under contract and will have new owners soon. Joel asked about the status of the posts/fence on Whispering Lane. The matter was referred to Stuart.
ACTION ITEM: Stuart to address Whispering Lane fence/post issue.

COMMUNITY WATCH: Kim reported police patrol will end September 20. The police have been enforcing the “No Fishing” rule on the Potterton Bridge. There has been an increase in trespassers over the past month. Kim will begin keeping a database of trespassers to track repeat offenders.

ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY: Cindy received a package from Bill Page Honda and will prepare a quick memo for the Board. Storm water runoff is the main issue.
ACTION ITEM: Cindy to prepare memo to Board on Bill Page Honda renovation plans.

MEMBERSHIP: Warren reported 6 transfers came in for the month of August.

PUBLICATION: Mark reported new server for the website is in place. More data is up and it is backed up now. Also, can send “e” blasts out. The new directory is underway. Mark is in the process of contacting Gary and Molly Jewell to assist again. The Newsletter committee will select the cover for the next directory. He mentioned that a resident is interested in having a newsletter blog.

The meeting was adjourned at 9:31 p.m.