MINUTES OF THE LAKE BARCROFT ASSOCIATION
BOARD OF DIRECTORS

October 14, 2009

The meeting of the Lake Barcroft Association (LBA) was called to order at 7:35 p.m. by Vice President Stuart Feldstein at 6425 Lakeview Drive, Falls Church, Virginia. Those present were LBA Directors Eva Kosztarab, David Goslin, Jerry Mendenhall, Sally Determan, Steve Klein, Kevin Howe, Warren Russell and Kim Smith. Cindy Waters, Joel Gregorio, Stuart Feldstein, Mark Cavich and Bill Herz were not present. Other attendees included lake resident George Erikson.

The minutes of September 9, 2009 were approved as corrected.

OLD BUSINESS

FUTURES COMMITTEE: Jerry said he is preparing an Executive Summary and will report at the November board meeting. (On Oct. 15, 2009, Jerry circulated the draft report to the board members by email).

TRAFFIC CALMING: Stuart reported that the Traffic Calming Committee met with VDOT to consider alternate solutions as the solutions previously offered by Fairfax DOT were not acceptable to the traffic calming committee. VDOT agreed to do three alternate things if approved by the community. Mark will prepare a graphic of the proposal which will be presented to the community. These alternate solutions have been posted on the HYPERLINK "http://www.lakebarcroft.org" www.lakebarcroft.org website. Dave asked about the upcoming approval process. The Board will suggest to the task force that they present their proposal to the community prior to submitting the plans to Penny Gross and the county.

NO WAKE DISCUSSION: Sally reported that both the WID and our water safety supervisor feel a “no wake” policy extending to them would have a serious impact on their productivity. Sally suggested that both groups should educate their employees regarding speed and creating wakes.

ANNUAL CIVIC AFFAIRS MEETING: Stuart briefly spoke about the upcoming meeting on October 28, 2009.

NOMINATING COMMITTEE: Stuart, Warren, Nan Brent and Diane Davidson will start the process in the next couple of weeks. They are seeking a third member of the community to serve on the committee. Asked Board for candidate suggestions for the Board positions.

NEW BUSINESS

IRS POLICY DOCUMENTS: Steve discussed the new requirements of the IRS 990 form certifications. He had previously e-mailed the Board the three proposed forms.

A motion was made by Steve Klein and seconded by Sally Determan to adopt the three policies presented. All voted in favor.

BOAT INSPECTION/AUCTION: Stuart explained the process in the past. Notification takes place first before any boats are confiscated. Sally will send an e-mail to the Board requesting volunteers to survey the beaches. All boats must have current stickers and lot numbers. Boats not on racks should be contacted, too as they are not in compliance. Eva reiterated Steve Klein’s earlier suggestion that the Board offer to auction off boats for those interested in getting rid of their boat. Sally suggested we should do this is return for 50% of the proceeds. Warren suggested posting something on LakeLink to let the community know that this inspection/auction will be forthcoming. Sally agreed to do so.
ACTION ITEM: Sally to post notice on LakeLink about upcoming inspection/auction.

COMMITTEE REPORTS

IMPROVEMENTS: Jerry discussed his updated project list. The pond was briefly discussed. Approximately $3,000 is remaining out of the $10,000 budgeted for the pond.
A Community Garden Workgroup is being formed to complete the plan for the garden. Met with the contractor on the Beach 3 pathway. One option was to remove the existing walkway and the second option was to use the gravel bed and put pavers on/over it which would be half the cost. Jerry will post a message on LakeLink that the Board has been looking at several options. Dave suggested Cindy should mention the Beach 3 pathway at the Civic Affairs meeting. Jerry informed the Board that there are approximately 73 signs throughout the community. Jerry said that Aras and Peter are doing a fantastic job.
ACTION ITEM: Jerry to post message on LakeLink about Beach 3 pathway.

WATER SAFETY/BEACH MAINTENANCE: Sally distributed Kevin Hardy’s end of the season report.

A motion was made by Sally Determan and seconded by Dave Goslin to approve $1,200 for bonuses for 5 lifeguards and to pay Kevin $5,000 as a bonus. All voted in favor.

TREASURER’S REPORT: Steve reported that some expenses under maintenance need to be put in the capital improvements category and he will discuss this with the accountant. He requested budgets from board members for 2010. An increase in annual dues will occur. Interest earned is down from previous years.

ARC: Kevin reported on a letter sent to a resident regarding a fence issue and that the posts have been removed. Stuart suggested having Cindy put something in her President’s column about this.
ACTION ITEM: Cindy to write up a few stories on ARC enforcement for the newsletter.

COMMUNITY WATCH: Kim reported on a burglary on Crosswoods Drive and recent door to door scams asking for money. Kim will look at extending the security patrols before and after the beach season.

ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY: Dave discussed recent beaver activity. He asked whether the population had increased and whether the Board should do a census.

MEMBERSHIP: Warren reported 1 transfer received in September.

PUBLICATIONS: Stuart reported on Mark’s behalf that he is requesting up to $500 maximum for labor costs to customize a site for the new Lake Barcroft blog. The Board raised a number of questions regarding the need for a blog. Several concerns were raised. It was recommended that Mark come back to the Board with more information.

George Erikson discussed the traffic study process and short notification for a recent meeting. The Traffic Calming Committee is supposed to give 14 days notice for meetings. He added that the statute that created the task force was done so by and for the homeowner. This body (the LBA Board) has the ability to poll community members.

George Erikson expressed his concern about not establishing a “No Wake” policy and said it should be based on merits and not personal feelings.

George Erikson discussed soil stabilizers that could be used on the beach 3 pathway and asked that the committee look at this possibility.

The meeting was adjourned at 9:58 PM.