MINUTES OF THE LAKE BARCROFT ASSOCIATION
BOARD OF DIRECTORS

November 12, 2009

The meeting of the Lake Barcroft Association (LBA) was called to order at 7:33 p.m. by President Cindy Waters at 6425 Lakeview Drive, Falls Church, Virginia. Those present were LBA Directors Cindy Waters, Stuart Feldstein, David Goslin, Jerry Mendenhall, Joel Gregorio, Steve Klein, Kevin Howe, Mark Cavich, Bill Herz, Warren Russell and Kim Smith. Eva Kosztarab and Sally Determan were not present. Other attendees were lake residents Betsy Washington and George Erikson.

The minutes of October 14, 2009 were approved as presented.

The annual civic affairs minutes were reviewed as well.

OLD BUSINESS

MASTER CALENDAR: The calendar was reviewed. Next month include next years dates.

FUTURES COMMITTEE: Jerry circulated the draft report to the Board previously. Cindy asked Jerry to remind the Board by e-mail that he would like comments.

TRAFFIC CALMING: Stuart reported that the task force had tentatively come up with some opposed remedies for Waterway Drive and would be scheduling a community meeting. At the civic affairs meeting, Kevin Kampschroer gave a report on the status of the task force was. Penny Gross was not happy with his report and asked for a meeting with him, VDOT and FCDOT. Stuart stated that VDOT was willing to do the proposed changes but FCDOT was not. How wide from corner from corner, line of site, grading issue and can large vehicles get around them were issues that they look at before they put in a traffic circle. He will continue to update the Board accordingly.

NOMINATING COMMITTEE: Stuart reported that Warren Russell, Nan Brent and Diane Davidson have been collecting names of candidates to contact. They will hold a meeting on Monday night.

BOAT INSPECTION/AUCTION: Discussion delayed at this time.

BLOG DISCUSSION: Mark reported that the newsletter committee is overseeing the new addition of a blog. Kim asked if it would be dated and how current would it be? Jerry asked if LBA wants a blog or not? Dave questioned cost on an on going basis, being an LBA blog and content? Cindy discussed how lakelink was started. Stuart felt any new activity should come before the Board. Concept of the blog should have been formally approved by this body. Warren questioned whether the LBA Board should exercise so much control over the blog or whether we should let the Publications Committee run it. A lengthy discussion took place with Mark explaining the process.

A motion was made by Stuart and seconded by Dave that the Board authorizes the publications committee to produce and supervise a blog. Kim was opposed. Motion passes.

Joel reminded the Board that this would be an online extension of the newsletter. Dave suggested materials be time based.

NEW BUSINESS

2010 BUDGET: Steve discussed the proposed 2010 budget based on $300 per household. Various categories were discussed. It has been 6 years since the annual fee has been increased. Kevin stated that he would like to see why expenses have gone up. Dave suggested something needs to be put in the newsletter including recommended cuts that should take place.

A motion was made by Stuart and seconded by Mark to raise barges fees from $40 to $60 annually and all other boats from $15 to $25. All in favor.

A motion was made by Dave and seconded by Stuart to raise the 2010 dues from $260 to $310. Kim, Bill and Jerry opposed. Motion carries.

COMMITTEE REPORTS

IMPROVEMENTS: Jerry called attention to the updated project list. Jerry asked the Board if we wanted movable tables for community parties or do we want them permanently anchored?

A motion was made by Kevin and seconded by Mark that all picnic tables be fixed at the beaches that they are presently located at. All voted in favor.

Dave questioned beach 3 pathway status. Jerry stated that bluestone dust will be placed in the area. Betsy discussed the benefits of going with this and having sides on it which will reduce maintenance.

Kim addressed the community garden and concern about the safety of the pond. Slope of pond and kids slipping down and having a hard time getting out of it was a major concern. RPA compliance and low maintenance have also been taken into consideration. Betsy also discussed the benefits of increase in wildlife in this area and “functionality” of the wetlands area, moving from the existing pond to an overall concept. Phase 1 will be focused on making the existing pond safe. Preparation work can be started as early as January. The goal is to start early spring of 2010. Cost for the design concept as presented by Kim and Betsy is estimated at $20,000 - $25,000. Jerry would like the Board to give the go ahead to proceed.

A motion was made by Jerry and seconded by Joel for the Board to approve the concept of the community garden and authorize the improvements and maintenance committee to proceed up to $35,000 up to 2 years from capital improvements. Dave and Warren did not vote. All others in favor, motion carried.

SPECIAL EVENTS: Nothing new to report.

WATER SAFETY: Nothing new to report.

TREASURER’S REPORT: Nothing new to report.

ARC: Nothing new to report.

COMMUNITY WATCH: Kim said fishing is still taking place from the banks of the Potterton bridge even though signs are posted not permitting it fishing from the bridge.

ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY: Nothing new to report.

LEGAL: Nothing new to report.

MEMBERSHIP: Warren reported that there were seven transfer payments received in October. Presently there are 1034 active members, 1 partial payer and 6 outstanding transfers for a total of 1044.

PUBLICATIONS: Nothing new to report.

Stuart stated that he received pamphlets from Fanny Mae about a homeless walk.

George Erikson noted that, in last months minutes, his comments regarding the no wake issue was not correct in his opinion. He was advised to send his corrections to Cindy.

The meeting was adjourned at 10:22 PM.

Respectfully submitted by,

Kimberly Smith