MINUTES OF THE LAKE BARCROFT ASSOCIATION
BOARD OF DIRECTORS

July 14, 2010

The meeting of the Lake Barcroft Association (LBA) was called to order at 7:30 PM by President Warren Russell at 6425 Lakeview Drive, Falls Church, Virginia. Those present were LBA Directors Warren Russell, Cindy Waters, Stuart Feldstein, Sally Determan, Joel Gregorio, Steve Klein, Betsy Washington, Rick Clayton and Kim Smith. Board members not present were Mark Cavich, Eva Kosztarab, Pat Payne and Jim Kilbourne. Also attending was lake resident Frank Llosa.

The minutes of June 9, 2010 were approved as presented.

OLD BUSINESS

CALENDAR REVIEW: The calendar was reviewed.

ACTION ITEMS REVIEW: Review of the action items took place.

Action Item: Cindy is starting the nomination committee process.
Looking into online payments as a future possibility.
Sally is working on a fee structure for beach parties.

TRAFFIC ENGINEER RESEARCH: Stuart reported that he and George Waters have discussed looking into reversing what the county has agreed to. Alan Pisarski will meet with the county to walk the area again.

Stuart discussed people that had not paid their fees. He reminded the Board about not issuing tags, Lakelink withdrawal, law firm sending letters and discussed a few other possibilities. He expressed a concern that there was no vote taken at the last Board meeting regarding this information being given to the lifeguards. He added that Water Safety Supervisor Kevin Hardy has been given a list of the delinquents for several years unbeknownst to him. It was brought to Stuart’s attention by a resident that the guards were provided this information. He felt the Board needs to approve of this decision and lodged his complaint to use this list emphasizing that non payers information and the amounts they owe should be kept to Board members only. He felt you have to weigh the benefits to the detriment. Cindy expressed concerns of the guards having access to this list as well. She felt that if the managers only had access to it, it would be better. Stuart felt the Board never had an opportunity to approve this. Chris informed the Board that this list had been given to the guards for the past 15 years and that Kevin Hardy felt it had been very helpful. He previously mentioned that a renter had come to the beach complaining that he had not gotten his tags from the owner and after looking at the list, Kevin was able to inform him that the owner had not paid. After a lengthy discussion, it was agreed that the managers would be given an updated list minus the dollar amounts.

A motion was made by Cindy and seconded by Rick that the list of non-payers will be held by the Water Safety Supervisor and the managers to identify non-payers. All voted in favor.

Action Item: Sally will contact Kevin and inform him that a new list will be made available that does not have the amounts owed on it and the list is to stay just with the managers.

NEW BUSINESS

TREE REMOVAL: Warren discussed the recent situation regarding tree removal on a waterfront property. It was felt that we need a comprehensive way to deal with the owner and contractors. He introduced lake resident Frank Llosa who witnessed the destruction and had taken pictures. The home owner cut down 8 trees that were close to 100 years old. Since this was within the RPA, the county could instigate fines up to $2,500 to the owner and anyone associated with it. The homeowner will have to go through a restoration process as well. Once notified, Stuart and Warren went immediately to the house. The homeowner was unaware of the RPA rules and any restrictions on her ability to build additional structures within 100’ of the waterline. She was receptive to hearing Stuart and Warren’s explanation of the RPA, the Fairfax County Ordinances, the Chesapeake Bay Watershed and the LBA ARC process.
Betsy has been very involved along with the WID and the county. Betsy contacted Penny Gross and the county code department for fast action. A notice of violation was been sent to the resident from Penny’s office. The environment impact will be reviewed as well. Kim felt the contractor needed to be held accountable as well. Betsy will be checking on this and will keep the Board informed.
Kim suggested an informational sheet be in the HOA packet. It was also recommended that it be included with the annual bill.
Sally suggested doing a mailing to residents now to educate those in the RPA. Cindy suggested a joint mailing from Penny and the LBA Board.

Action Item: Warren and Betsy will work on a joint mailing regarding LBA’s and the county’s policy regarding tree removal.

Cindy mentioned that the July 1998 newsletter included a different color of paper which draws attention.
Stuart stated that the RPA could be added to the website in 2 places.

Action Item: Betsy to provide RPA info to Mark for the website. Additionally an article will be written regarding the reasons to protect the RPA for the newsletter and website.

Joel mentioned the ARC and their current process regarding projects. He added that letters have been sent to residents to stop work, etc., until they have complied with the process. Mostly it is educating the owner though the County has been contacted in the past.
Kevin Howe continues to send letters to new owners regarding the ARC rules.
Certificates of insurance, permits from the county, contractors have a current license are all being asked for by the ARC.
Sally suggested having the ARC send letters to our advertisers and on the contractors list.

Action Item: ARC will send letters to them.

Betsy to send her article to David Feld and to the Mason District Council representative as well.

LAKE BARCROFT FOUNDATION: Kim sent a one page concept to the Board regarding LBF. She would like to propose more full use of the foundation that could contribute to the physical environment around Lake Barcroft and research on environmental issues. Various projects around the community and other programs were briefly discussed. She added that she would like to see a focus group formed to make a presentation to the Board. Use the foundation and educate people that they can make a charitable donation.
Cindy reminded the Board that every penny currently in the LBF account is the Thurgood Marshall Scholarship money. She suggested Kim speak with Dave and Mac Canter if possible. LBA is not a non-profit 501(c) (3). Stuart stated that Pat Payne is looking at the bylaws to update them as well.
Her proposal read as follows: “I propose that the LBA create a focus group to explore how the LBA and LB community can more fully expand the provisions of the Foundation. The Foundation Focus Group would explore various programs, projects, costing and success criteria for short-, mid- and long-range programs and projects. The Focus Group would also determine possible fund-raising opportunities, charitable donations and estate planning opportunities for funding the Foundation programs and projects.
She asked the Lake Barcroft Board of Directors for approval to create such a focus group. And, she looks for recommendations on 3-5 people to participate on this focus group.” The Board consented to this approach provided members of the community are included in the focus group.

Warren discussed meeting with the WID to establish the criteria to replace Pete Sylvia on the Board. After several meetings between WID and 2 members of LBA, Jerry Mendenhall was selected as a new WID Trustee by the committee.

Warren read a letter from the Newcomers requesting $700 for the band for the community BBQ in August. Cindy asked if we want to pay the $400 we have paid in the past. Research of prior years indicated Newcomers has been provided $500.

A motion was made by Stuart and seconded by Steve to give the Newcomers $500 as thist was the amount budgeted. All voted in favor.

It was agreed that the Newcomers should come back to the Board if they would like to increase the fee for next year’s budget preparation.

COMMITTEE REPORTS

ARC: Joel discussed recent fence issues. The resident would like to attend the next Board meeting. Jim will be meeting again with her prior to the meeting. Several plans were reviewed.

SPECIAL EVENTS: Warren reported on behalf of Pat that the annual Ice Cream social was a success. She has asked for a $400 increase for next year. Preparation for the Labor Day games is under way.

ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY: Betsy reported that the Great American Backyard Campout on June 26 went extremely well. There were 64 families in attendance. Alonso the story teller from the Long Branch Nature Center was truly enjoyed.

A motion was made by Sally and seconded by Kim to donate $100 to the Long Branch Nature Center. All voted in favor.

Joel suggested making this a special events category so that it could have a budget.
Betsy discussed stream and watershed tracking. Major amount of fecal they believe is from dogs. Only 4 geese have been sited on the lake.

WATER SAFETY/BEACH MAINTENANCE: Sally gave Kevin’s report. Potomac Valley Swim Team requested use of the lake. The Board did not approve so she will let them know. In the future, the Water Safety Committee chair will answer requests like this with the Board’s position.

COMMUNITY WATCH/SECURITY: Kim reported on the police patrol. Volunteers in a two week period have caught 25 trespassers. 4 teenagers caught trying to steal a canoe from beach 2. 62 trespassers since May. Kim will talk with the police about consistency in their reports. She read various statistics from their reports.
Recent problems on trespassers just after the lifeguards leave. Barge activity late in the evening is higher this year. Sally suggested hiring lifeguards to stay on the beaches for an additional hour or so to check for tags. Rick suggested using the Neighborhood Watch people first. Possible increase for next year depending on the outcome of this season. Graffiti incidents recently underneath the Potterton bridge. National Night Out is Tuesday, August 3. She asked for ideas to encourage more participation from residents. Emergency Preparedness was discussed. She mentioned there is plenty of information out there. She expressed a concern about the elderly in the community. She suggested a list of people to contact to check on could be devised.

IMPROVEMENTS: Joel reported that Peter Downs has agreed to clean off the graffiti on the bridge.
New swing seat will be replaced at Beach 2. The new gate has been installed at beach 2 and a sign has been placed on it regarding emergency use and to not block the entrance. Handicap parking will be painted.
Beach 4 reported that the floating dock was loose. The WID immediately secured it. Pond is still having a leaking problem. A sealant has been suggested. Guard stands are being replaced at Beach 4. Additional garbage cans for the beaches to deal with dog waste are being researched. Mild erosion after recent rain storm at Beach 3. Contributions to the pond will be a focus soon for specific items.

TREASURER/FINANCE & AUDIT: Steve reported that the 2009 audit will begin soon. The website has received 342 sales of LBA products. The directory has received about $2,000 more than expected.

LEGAL: Nothing new to report at this time.

PUBLICATIONS: Sally suggested putting the updated rules in the directory.

MEMBERSHIP: Rick reported that there were 4 transfer fees collected in June.

Kim distributed a flier from Delegate Kaye Kory.

Warren discussed the Futures Committee and projects that are ongoing. He asked Cindy to come back to the Board with an update in September on where we are in executing the recommendations of this committee.

Action Item: Cindy to give update and status on Futures Committee.

The meeting was adjourned at 10:20 PM.

Respectfully submitted by,

Chris Lawson, Acting Secretary