MINUTES OF THE LAKE BARCROFT ASSOCIATION
BOARD OF DIRECTORS

February 9, 2011

The meeting of the Lake Barcroft Association (LBA) was called to order at 7:34 PM by President Warren Russell at 6425 Lakeview Drive, Falls Church, Virginia. Those present were LBA Directors Warren Russell, Cindy Waters, Steve Klein, Betsy Washington, Pat Payne, Mark Cavich, Eva Kosztarab, Kim Smith and Jim Kilbourne. Board members not present were Rick Clayton, Stuart Feldstein and Sally Determan.

The minutes of January 12, 2011 were approved as presented.

OLD BUSINESS

CALENDAR REVIEW: The calendar was reviewed.

ACTION ITEM REVIEW: Action items were reviewed. Cindy asked each Board chair to review and complete the description of their committee’s responsibilities. She suggested changing the name of Maintenance and Improvements to just Maintenance. Various committees were discussed.

ACTION ITEM: All Board members to review their duty descriptions and provide feedback to Cindy by March 1.

WEBSITE PROGRSS REPORT: Mark has written an article for the newsletter that summarizes the recent updates. He is working on the PayPal set up. He discussed online advertising on the website. Sign up sheets will be put out at the annual meeting for training classes on setting up user names and for accessing the new website.

TRAFFIC CALMING TASK FORCE UPDATE: Warren received a call from Penny Gross and was informed that the County was going to shut the traffic calming study down due to non-action. This has since been resolved. The County has accepted three of the recommendations from the task force: to paint lines on the divided section of Waterway Drive to slow down traffic, to paint a crosswalk at Waterway Drive near the Potterton Bridge, and to post a “Watch for Children” sign on Waterway Drive near Beach 5. One Board member felt the task force has not been adequately representing the community.

OTHER OLD BUSINESS: Cindy suggested the membership chair should be the person who maintains the community volunteer list. It was suggested we consider sending out the volunteer list signup sheets when sending out the dues notices each year.

Cindy reported that one of the candidates running for the Board might be moving out of the country and wanted to make the Board aware of it.

NEW BUSINESS

Cindy updated the Board on the local fire station at Bailey’s Crossroads that will be completed in 2013.

ANNUAL MEETING AGENDA: Warren reviewed the agenda for the upcoming meeting.

JEB STUART CREW REQUEST: Warren said that the JEB Stuart Crew Team would like to practice on the lake again and that their proposed agreement has been reviewed by the legal committee.

A motion was made by Cindy and seconded by Betsy to sign the JEB Stuart Crew Team contract for 2011 allowing them to practice on the lake. All in favor.

Warren stated that on February 26 the county will hold a meeting on code compliance at the Mason District community center which will be hosted by Penny Gross for those interested in attending.

Warren said there is a potential for change in committee assignments once the new Board comes on and asked the current Board to contact him with their interests prior to the next Board meeting.

ACTION ITEM: Board members to contact Warren regarding their preferred committee assignments.

COMMITTEE REPORTS

ARC: Jim reported 1 application is in the approval process. There is an ongoing issue with a trailer that is housing construction workers. It is parked on the street in front of a house undergoing renovation. Fairfax county code compliance is looking into it and will visit the site over the next week. The trailer is also in violation of the Lake Barcroft covenants. Jim will call the owner of the house to inform him of the covenant violation.

ACTION ITEM: Jim to call the homeowner to inform him that the trailer is in violation of the LB covenants.

COMMUNITY WATCH/SECURITY: Kim said things have been quiet. One dog incident occurred in which an unleashed dog ran up to 2 dogs that were on leashes. The unleashed dog was bitten by one of the leashed dogs.

ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY: Betsy is starting to work on Earth Day which will be April 16. She is working on a 4 page insert on fertilizer for the March newsletter issue. Betsy discussed the tree replacement policy for the upcoming year. She suggested that the committee continue to donate trees to residents but require the homeowner to cover all or part of the cost of the planting fee. It was felt that LBA should not absorb this expense anymore. The sale of the Lake Barcroft calendars was discussed. It was suggested to have an order form available for the calendar at the October Civic Affairs meeting and to place one in the October newsletter. The calendar discussion should be placed on the Board calendar.

TREASURER’S REPORT: Steve distributed the auditor’s report for 2009. The auditor noted that some of the expenses should have been capitalized. The auditor suggested that we consider having a written maintenance contract with one of our contractors.

MEMBERSHIP: Chris reported that 2 transfer payments of $100 were received in January. Presently approximately 720 lots have paid their 2011 fees which equals 69%.

SPECIAL EVENTS: Pat discussed issues regarding Earth Day and the Backyard Campout and asked how the special events committee should assist. She also discussed that Sand Day is run by, for kids.

IMPROVEMENTS: Betsy reported that the snow shoveling has gone well. Sand has been placed in a trash can for emergency use. Delfino’s crew has been picking up branches throughout all the common areas. She reported that the plexiglass on the Beach 3 information box has been vandalized. She noted that there is graffiti on the Beach 5 gazebo which needs to be removed.

The meeting was adjourned at 9:27 PM.