Lake Barcroft  
 
docs

 

Minutes of the Lake Barcroft Association - Board of Directors

February 8, 2012

The meeting of the Lake Barcroft Association (LBA) was called to order at 7:33 PM by President Warren Russell at 6425 Lakeview Drive, Falls Church, Virginia.  Those present were LBA Directors Warren Russell, Betsy Washington, Regina Derzon, Eva Kosztarab, Pat Payne, Mark Cavich, Steve Klein and Jim Kilbourne.  Cindy Waters, Diane Smalley, Sally Determan and Kim Smith were not present.  Other guests included lake residents Joe and Nicholas Pisciotta, Bob Rieser and Nolan Stokes.

The minutes of December 14, 2011 were approved as corrected.  Pat moved to adopt and Steve seconded. There was no January, 2012 Board meeting.

Alice Rowan resigned from the Board in December.

EAGLE SCOUT PROJECT:  Warren introduced Nicholas Pisciotta who presented a proposal as part of his Eagle Scout project.  His project proposes building and placing bird houses in a variety of locations throughout the community.  Swift Island initially was the preferred area but due to goose nesting, this will not be possible.  He presented pictures of the houses and types of birds that would use them.  He would like to construct 15 houses in June.  He would like to also apply to make Swift Island a bird habitat through the National Wildlife Foundation.  He requested funding of $150 from the Board to purchase the supplies.  The Board thanked him for his presentation.

Bob Rieser proposed that LBA should buy a vacant lot located on the corner of Blair Road and Glen Carlyn so that no one can build as he is concerned about run off into the lake.  The Board thanked him and agreed to discuss it.

OLD BUSINESS

CALENDAR REVIEW:  The Board reviewed the calendar of events.

CIVIC AFFAIRS MEETING:  Warren discussed the agenda for the annual meeting and asked Board members for any additional input.

2012 MEMBERSHIP UPDATE:  Chris reported that 679 residents have paid their annual fees, leaving 366 unpaid.  She added that she has deposited $249,736 since January 1.

DEANGELIS PROPERTY:  Eva reported that Mr. DeAngelis received a certified letter from the Board acknowledging his encroachment on LBA property and had met with Warren and her in January and that it appeared Mr. DeAngelis had landscaped and made a number of plantings about 20’ into Beach 3 common area.  Warren requested LBA hire a surveyor to confirm the property boundaries.  Eva offered that she has talked with two companies and the cost is approximately $600.
A motion was made by Pat and seconded by Jim authorizing Eva to arrange for a survey to be done on the Beach 3/DeAngelis property line that does not exceed $700.  All voted in favor.

NEW BUSINESS

JEB STUART CREW AGREEMENT:  Warren is waiting on the agreement from the crew team to practice on the lake as has been done in previous years.  One additional sentence was added to the agreement for the use of the Port-a-John at Beach 4. Stuart Crew team would pay $87.60 to have it cleaned at the end of their practice.  Practice season runs from February 23 to March 19.  Warren asked the Board for approval pending receipt of the contract.  Regina moved and Betsy seconded a motion that JEB Stuart Crew be allowed to use the lake.  The motion passed.  Warren added that the WID will be involved as well.

CONGRESSIONAL PROPOSAL:  Warren was informed by the Trustees at  Congressional School of their intent to sell 3 acres of land at the lower end of their property which is adjacent to Waterway Drive.  Their plan is to have a developer purchase and build up to 6 homes and was asking if LBA would be agreeable of incorporating them into our property owners association.   The Board will monitor the situation.

COMMITTEE REPORTS

ARC:  Jim reported that four plans were submitted and discussed at their recent meeting.  A fence re-submittal is being reviewed.

TREASURER’S REPORT:  Steve said the December statement will be sent to the Board once received from the accountant.  The 2012 budget is on track at this time.

LEGAL:  Eva discussed VDOT permits are required for events that take place in the community.  A permit must be submitted 90 days in advance.  Eva is working on getting quotes from insurance companies on various LBA policies.    The homeowner’s association packet has been revised.

PUBLICATIONS:  Mark demonstrated the new contractors list for the Board.  The February newsletter is at the printers.  Mark has agreed to assist whoever takes over as Publications Chair even though he is going off of the board.

ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY:  Betsy stated April 29th is the date scheduled for Earth Day.  She stated  the JEB Stuart crew team will sell refreshments.  She will work on watershed issues prior to the event.

SPECIAL EVENTS:  Pat is working on upcoming events. 

Warren called attention to the fact that Steve and Mark are leaving the board after both completing 6 year terms and thanked them on behalf of the board for all of their hard work.  He asked Board members to look at the various committees on which they would like to serve.  Sally has agreed to serve as President.

The Eagle Scout request was discussed.  A motion was made by Steve and seconded by Betsy to approve the project without financial assistance from LBA.  Areas for placement of the bird houses will be Beaches 2, 3, & 5 in wooded areas only and not to exceed a total of 15 houses. A map or diagram of the bird houses would be required.  All voted in favor.

Funding and applying for a bird sanctuary were deferred until discussed with the WID.

Bob Rieser’s proposal was discussed.  The Board deferred seeking further information regarding the corner lot previously discussed.  Warren will provide feedback to Bob Rieser.

The meeting was adjourned at 9:38 PM.
Respectfully submitted,

Regina Warner Derzon
Acting Secretary