Lake Barcroft  
 
docs

 

Minutes of the Lake Barcroft Association - Board of Directors

March 14, 2012

The meeting of the Lake Barcroft Association (LBA) was called to order at 7:31 PM by President Warren Russell at the LBA office at 6425 Lakeview Drive, Falls Church, Virginia.  Those present were LBA Directors Warren Russell, Sally Determan, Cindy Waters, Regina Derzon, Diane Smalley, Pat Payne, Shane Oleson, Frank Phillippi and Jim Kilbourne.  Eva Kosztarab attended by teleconference.  Diane Davidson, Marty Mandelberg and Betsy Washington were not present.  Other guests included Improvements Chair George Waters.

The minutes of February 8, 2012 were approved as presented.   The annual minutes of February 23 were corrected.

The calendar was reviewed.

OLD BUSINESS

ANNUAL MEETING:  Warren briefly discussed the annual membership meeting.

CONGRESSIONAL SCHOOL UPDATE:  Warren gave a brief update which will be detailed in an article in the upcoming LBA Newsletter.  Eva will form a committee to monitor the status of the activities of Congressional School.  Stuart Feldstein and Ralph Smalley have agreed to serve on this committee and she would like to find someone else who lives in the affected area.

LEGAL:  Eva discussed the recent survey that was done of the LBA common area at beach 3 regarding encroachments.  The first issue of concern was the asphalt parking pad that was determined was not an issue as it is on VDOT’s property.  The second issue was the upper left side on the plat that joins DeAngelis property line with LBA property which clearly shows that the Petersen’s dock is over 2.4’ inside our common area.  The third issue was existing landscaping.  Eva called attention to the area on the survey entitled “Nail Set” as this shows DeAngelis has continuous landscaping that goes approximately 20 feet into LBA property.  Eva proposes that LBA send DeAngelis a letter acknowledging his encroachment and allow him to keep the encroachment until further notice pending a signed letter back from him admitting this.  A letter should go to Petersen as well regarding his encroachment.  Jim informed new Board members that litigation took place in the 90’s against DeAngelis regarding easements.

A motion was made by Eva and seconded by Sally to send letters to both DeAngelis and Peterson.  The motion passed with one no vote.  (Warren Russell).

Eva reported that Chris and she met with an insurance broker and that are waiting for the quotes.  Eva is researching the out lot behind 6201 Waterway Drive.  She is having a title search completed and is looking into collecting past due fees on the lot.

LOCKED GATES AT BEACHES:  Warren asked Frank Phillippi to look into whether the gates should be locked or not on the beaches 3, 4 and 5 and report his finding back to the board.

PROPOSED REVISIONS TO THE WATER SAFETY/BOATING/COMMON PROPERTY RULES:  Sally asked the Board for their thoughts about the distributed rules.  Beach tags were discussed as well as dog poop on the beaches.  Sally will consolidate suggestions received from WSS Kevin Hardy and George Waters and redistribute to the Board for review and comments.  Beach parties were discussed and the possible use of all of the beaches during the week during the summer season.  No parties are currently allowed on beach 3 and 4 on weekends.  No dogs are allowed on beaches during beach season.

TRAFFIC CALMING UPDATE:  Warren gave an update stating that County supervisors approved the plan which will be submitted to FDOT for scheduling.

ZONING ON PEACE VALLEY LANE:  Sally gave an update on a recent meeting she attended with Betsy.  Concern of fill running into the lake was discussed.
 
Warren stated that the Mason District Council will be holding a meeting focusing on litter.  Kaye Kory will be speaking and a few other neighbors will be attending on behalf of the community.

NEW BUSINESS

ELECTION RESULTS/ELECTION OF OFFICERS:  Warren welcomed Shane and Frank to the Board, as well as Marty and Diane, who were not in attendance.  He opened the floor to nominations for officers.

A motion was made to nominate Sally as President.  All voted in favor.

A motion was made and seconded to nominate Warren as Vice President.  All voted in favor.

A motion was made and seconded to nominate Regina as Secretary.  All voted in favor.

A motion was made and seconded to nominate Marty as treasurer.  All voted in favor.

Sally discussed committee assignments.

COMMUNITY GARDEN:  Sally informed the Board that Chuck de Seve of the WID has agreed to chair a committee to revisit the community garden.  Diane Davidson will serve as vice chair.  Nancy Firestone, Stephanie Perez, Rusty Metz and Rick Aldridge will also serve on this committee.  Sally requested an authorization of up to $5,000 from the capital account to pursue the project (at the discretion of the committee).  Discussion ensured.  A motion was made and seconded to allow up to $5,000 from the capital account to go towards this project.  The motion was amended to request that the WID match the pledge of $5,000.  All voted in favor.

BEACH 5 PROJECT:  Warren proposed construction of a shelter or pavilion at beach 5 for community events and party use.  It was moved and seconded to authorize Warren to explore the concept further.  All voted in favor, except Cindy who voted no.  Sally asked Marty to create a committee to review the capital assets category.

Warren reported he had received a call from a JEB Stuart student requesting to work with the Woman’s Club regarding tickets to be distributed at the Easter egg hunt.  He informed the student to contact the Woman’s Club directly.

COMMITTEE REPORTS

ARC:  Jim said one plan had been submitted and approved.  He added that the committee is working on covenant compliance.

IMPROVEMENTS:  George addressed vandalism of the gazebo recently and distributed pictures.  Discussion took place and a suggestion was made to post the information on LakeLink.  It was suggested that we should consider offering a reward for information.  A tree at beach 5 by a picnic table is partially dead and will need to be removed.

SPECIAL EVENTS:  Diane suggested we come up with a way of drawing kids into some of the projects in the community.

COMMUNICATIONS & PUBLICATIONS:  Shane reported he met with Mark regarding the website, directory and newsletter.  He will create a list with feedback and prioritize it and present the Board with suggestions.

MEMBERSHIP:  Diane stated that she had contacted 56 owners regarding their fees and 15 said they would mail it right in.  Cindy thanked Diane for calling the delinquent payers.  She said she will continue to call people prior to the April 15 date.  She stated that a resident paid their fee for this year but did not pay last year’s so this payment will be credited to last year.  Warren explained the Virginia Homeowner’s Association Act requirements regarding time frames of notifications.

SECURITY:  Frank will meet with Kim Smith.

Sally expressed her thoughts and prayers to Cindy and George on behalf of the Board in wishing their daughter continued success with her medical treatment.

The meeting was adjourned at 9:27 PM.

Respectfully submitted,

Regina Derzon
Secretary