Lake Barcroft  
 
docs

 

Minutes of the Lake Barcroft Association - Board of Directors

September 10, 2014

The meeting of the Lake Barcroft Association (LBA) was called to order at 7:30 PM by President Jim Kilbourne at 6425 Lakeview Drive, Falls Church, Virginia.  Those present were LBA Directors Jim Kilbourne, Lee Price, Eva Kosztarab, Bill Lecos, Pat Payne, Betsy Washington, Frank Phillippi and Rick Aldrich.  Board members Sally Determan, Warren Russell, Anne Cullather and Diane Smalley were not present.  Shane Oleson attended by teleconference.

The minutes of July 9, 2014 meeting were approved as presented.

OLD BUSINESS

SEWAGE SPILL UPDATE:  Jim informed the Board that the WID and LBA had asked the county to continue testing through  Labor Day which they did and the results showed very low e. coli counts and no human coliform.  The testing has now concluded.  Bill suggested that the results should be emphasized at the upcoming community meeting.

CALENDAR REVIEW:  The calendar was reviewed.

WOMAN’S CLUB GARDEN UPDATE:  Jim mentioned that the WID has finished their landscaping.  LBA owns a small strip whereas the WID owns two thirds of this area. In response to questions, Jim explained that the WID trustees did not want to put a fence back along Dearborn.

LORTON LANDFILL UPDATE:  Jim reported that the County board had voted not to extend the arrangement for the Lorton landfill beyond 2018. Bill said that there remained a possibility that Lorton may continue to accept dredging from Lake Barcroft after that.

REVISED ARC GUIDELINES DISCUSSION:  Jim reminded the Board that a special board meeting would take place the next week regarding the proposed revised ARC guidelines.  It was stated that most and perhaps all of the ARC would be attending this meeting. 

NEW BUSINESS

WEBSITE ISSUES:  Shane went over his report regarding continual delays, staff turnover and issues with the current website vendor that is developing the new website.  He discussed the pros and cons and associated costs for staying with the current vendor versus switching to another vendor midstream, but suggested staying with the current vendor until we launch the new site and requested additional funds as the maximum LOE for the original contract for $33,075 has been exhausted.  Pat raised the issue of funds spent previously.  Eva suggested an addendum to the original contract instead of a new agreement.

A motion was made by Rick and seconded by Lee authorizing Shane to spend no more than an additional specified amount to complete the website update with an addendum to the original contract on a firm fixed price basis with no reference to hours required for completion. All voted in favor.

Shane reminded the Board that Carol and Tom Donlan will be stepping down as newsletter editors at the end of the year.  Resident Lorraine Thompson has expressed an interest in this position.

George McLennan is looking for a new list service provider.

Shane is working with Diane and Sally on estimates for having an emergency neighborhood notification system.

Rick asked about plans to provide support for electronic filing with the ARC.

SEVEN CORNERS REDEVELOPMENT:  Jim gave the Board updates on the latest developments.  The Task Force met last night to discuss and vote on the 4 different options.  Four homeowner associations spoke including LBA.  Bill and Jim gave a thorough update from the recent meetings.  September 22 is LBA’s town hall meeting on the Seven Corners Redevelopment  at the Mason District building.

Jim called attention to Ralph Smalley’s statement in the packet and asked the Board to review.  

Jim will prepare a letter to Penny Gross reiterating what was discussed last night at the meeting.

ROBERTS PROPERTY:  Eva reported that the quit claim deed for the Roberts property was recorded on August 13 and they will be paying the legal fees.

CIVIC AFFAIRS DATE & AGENDA:  Jim will work with Chris on agenda to send out.

LBA SERVICE AWARD RECOMMENDATION:  Pat discussed two residents that she would like considered to receive the LBA service award for all of their hard work in the community. 

A motion was made by Pat and seconded by Bill to accept the two candidates nominated.  All voted in favor.

It was agreed that other candidates could also be considered to receive the award that will be presented at the February annual meeting.

NOMINATING COMMITTEE:  Jim reported that Sally will chair the Nominating Committee as past President and Warren, as Membership chair, will co-chair the committee.

COMMITTEE REPORTS

IMPROVEMENTS:  Frank reported 2 trees lost at beach 3.  He added that due to Delfino’s expanded work at the garden, it might affect the current budget.  John Shapard has built new racks at the beaches.  A list has been devised of repairs that are needed.

LEGAL:  Eva discussed a new waterfront home that is requesting a quit claim deed for 1970s-era infill from dredging in the lake.  There are approximately 50 lots that fall into this category.

MEMBERSHIP:  Chris reported that there was $250 collected in transfer fees for the month of July and $100 for the month of August.

ARC:  Several apps received.  

WATER SAFETY:  Pat reported another successful season although cooler weather reduced the use of the beaches. There was speculation about the extent to which the sewage spills may have also contributed.

SPECIAL EVENTS:  Pat said Labor Day games went very well this year, although attendance was down  from the prior year. 

SECURITY:  Bill reported that we were not getting as many police officers to volunteer for evening/late night patrol duty at the Lake even though we had raised the hourly rate paid to the currently prevailing rate for off-duty officers.  In light of concerns expressed over recent actions of police officers, Bill has contacted two private companies to research their costs to provide security.

ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY:  Betsy reported 42 trees are being delivered to homes and 13 to common areas.

TREASURER’S REPORT:  Lee said the beach expenses are down from last year because staffing requirements were lower due to the factors discussed with Pat’s report.

EXECUTIVE SESSION:  The board went into executive session to discuss a confidential topic.

The board adjourned at 9:45pm.