Lake Barcroft  
 
docs

 

Minutes of the Lake Barcroft Association - Board of Directors

February 10, 2016

The meeting of the Lake Barcroft Association (LBA) was called to order at 7:35 PM by President Jim Kilbourne at 6425 Lakeview Drive, Falls Church, Virgnia.  Those present were LBA Directors Jim Kilbourne, Bill Lecos, Anne Cullather, Frank Phillippi, Sara Franco, Shane Oleson, Todd West, Rick Aldrich, Andrew Casolini Dal Bo, Sarah Mattingly, Kevin Kampschroer and Betsy Washington.  Chris Lawson also attended. Pat Payne was not present.  Lake residents Blake Ratliff and Jon Ferris were also in attendance.

MINUTES: Bill Lecos motioned that the minutes of January 13, 2016 Board meeting be approved as amended. The motion was seconded by Kevin Kampschroer and passed unanimously.  

CALENDAR REVIEW:  The community calendar was reviewed. The New Comer’s Club Chili Cook-off is scheduled for 2/20 and Earth Day is scheduled for 4/24.

OLD BUSINESS

WATERWAY – STOP SIGNS UPDATE:  Jim informed the Board that VDOT has responded by letter declining the request for stop signs along Waterway Drive.  The McKitrick’s have e-mailed Jim to express interest in continuing discussions regarding other safety options for Waterway Drive.  Lake resident Bill Cook had written VDOT regarding trimming bushes at the intersections, and Bill and Jim will investigate if he has received a response. Other options discussed included installation of “drive like your kids live here” signs or the installation of speed-monitoring signs or pole-mounted caution displays. Discussions will continue with the new Board at the March meeting.  

NEW BUSINESS

JEB STUART CREW:  Jim reminded the Board that the JEB Stuart Crew Team for many years has requested use of the lake for their practice late February through early March.  They are required to supply liability waivers, wash their boats before putting them in Lake Barcroft waters, and provide a certificate of insurance that includes LBA.  In turn, we provide them use of one of our boats.  They would like to set up a storage structure at Beach 4 this upcoming weekend.

A motion was made by Frank and seconded by Andrew authorizing Jim to sign a contract with the crew team similar to the contract executed last year, and the motion passed unanimously.  

PREPARATION FOR ANNUAL MEETING:  Jim discussed the agenda for the upcoming meeting. A projector will be available for presentations.  Bill suggested moving the WID discussion up before the President’s report. Sarah will confirm the participation of Sandy Evans to discuss school issues.

COMMITTEE REPORTS

IMPROVEMENTS:  Frank stated nothing new to report other than sidewalks by beach 5 have been shoveled.

ARC:  Rick reported the ARC has three new members, including Tim Campon, Rick Morton and Brian Allen.  Two applications had been received; one was approved and another approved conditionally.  He discussed recent violations of three neighbors with whom he has been working.  Jim asked Rick to provide a written summary to the Board in order to determine the basis for issuing a violation notice to the residents.  Rick also mentioned that ARC Committee members are now assigned to sections throughout the community to walk and monitor to identify unapproved projects that neighbors may be undertaking.

WATER SAFETY:  Andrew is working with Kevin on some pending issues.

SPECIAL EVENTS:  Nothing new to report.

PUBLICATIONS:  Shane is working on the reprint of the directory and Mark Cavich hopes to finalize the printing of additional copies of directories plus the update addendum.  For the website, the previous vendor is shutting down their servers at the end of March, and so LBA needs to migrate to a new site that is compatible with droople 7.  By this weekend, he should complete the review of the new website and enhancements.  He also reported that he was contacted by Arlington Magazine regarding an article that will be published featuring Lake Barcroft; Shane provided photos for the article.

SECURITY:  Jim discussed the recent incident where a 17 year old girl fell into the lake with nonlife threatening injuries.  Jim asked Kevin to check with the police captain as to why LBA was not notified.  Bill suggested keeping the link and info on this as an internal log.  Kevin discussed the recent situation regarding tables stolen from a resident’s yard.

ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY:  Betsy reported Earth Day will be April 24 and she has 30 invitations out to guest speakers or presenters.  She asked the Board for any additional suggestions.  Sara asked about a display on solar power.  Shane suggested Skyline Automotive might discuss recycling.

TREASURER’S REPORT:  Todd had recent discussions with the auditor and should be able to review the audit for 2014 in the upcoming week.   He will be coordinating with the accountant to obtain 2016 budget statements.

MEMBERSHIP: Sara reported that 740 lots have paid and 305 remain unpaid. Late fees will be applied in March.  Jim will place a reminder on Lakelink.

LEGAL: Pat was absent so there was no report.

AIR BNB DISCUSSION

John Ferris and Blake Ratcliff addressed the Board in response to the cease and desist letter they had received regarding their Air BNB operations.  Blake noted that he took down his ads for “retreat” events at his house and no longer extends lake privileges to his guests. He only allows guests that utilize E-verify, and he noted that Air BNB provides up to $1 million in insurance to homeowners and to homeowner associations.

EXECUTIVE SESSION

After their presentation, Bill Lecos made a motion for the board to convene in executive discussion to discuss 1) renewal of Kevin Hardy’s contract and 2) Air BNB covenant violations.  The motion was seconded by Kevin and passed unanimously.  At the end of the executive session discussion, Andrew made a motion for the board to come out executive session, which as seconded by Kevin and passed unanimously.  No actions were taken that required a vote in open session.